Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I get her to empty the breast?

Default How do I get her to empty the breast?

My daughter is 4 weeks old and I am just recoverign form severe mastitis. I had to pump to make sure I was emptying the breast after each feeding. I could always pump a few ounzes more. I really don't want to worry about getting that infection again, so the doctor says to make sure shes emptying it. How do I get my milk supply to balance out or get her to empty it?

Default Re: How do I get her to empty the breast?

Your breasts will never truly empty--the flow will just slow considerably. If your mastitis is gone now, just let your baby nurse on demand and make sure she's getting good feedings and transferring milk well. If you start to feel breast pain again, you can pump a little extra to ward off plugged ducts/mastitis again. But pumping after each nursing session might lead to oversupply and that's a whole 'nother problem to deal with!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Do you have oversupply? If so I found that pumping a couple oz off right before nursing (just 3-5min) did not increase my supply like pumping after nursing does, might be a better way to pump off the extra if you have to pump. If you don't think you have too much milk it may just be a matter of time, my los didn't turn into really efficient nursers till they were about 3 months old, till then I never realized how floppy my boobs could get!

april that made me laugh. "floppy boobs" mine didn't get that way until about 6mos

Armymom, hope u can get it figured out but in the beginning I always pumped and hr after James nursed to keep my supply up for when I went back to work well now that I'm home all day I don't worry about it as much. I agree with April though about pumping before u nurse that way u still get a few oz to store then she cleans you out of what is left.

HTH and u get some relief

HUGS Momma
    Jess

Thankyou. I have a very large supply of milk thats come in adn she is finally starting to get better at nursing. I will try the pumping before nursing, thank you. The mastitis was just so traumatic for me I am afraid to let it some back.
    I was in the ER twice with fevers of 104.3, severe pain, and just weak for a long time. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I wouldn't recommend pumping BEFORE either. Baby is taking the breast well. Oversupply will lead to problems like mastitis, so pumping is kind of a double edged sword. *IF* after your baby nurses, you are still engorged or full to the point that you are uncomfortable, then go ahead and pump just enough to relieve the discomfort. Over time your body will adjust to your baby's needs.

Are you planning to return to work?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

If you are over supplied the best way to help your supply regulate itself is to let the baby feed on one side for 2-3 feedings before swithcing to the other side. (Block feeding.) Unlike pumping, which signals your body to make more milk, block feeding will signal your body to slow down milk production. It also lets your LO get some of that fatty hind milk that settles the stomach because the emptier you breasts are the fatter the milk is. After being over supplied, you may feel like you have no milk for the 2nd or 3rd nursing on the same side - but you do!

As Jen said, I would pump only to relieve discomfort. If you pump routinely, you will just keep making more milk and have to pump more and make more milk and have to pump more and..... see?