Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storage question.. please help

Default Storage question.. please help

I'm new to pumping and freezing my milk. I was putting some more milk in the freezer today when I noticed that my previously frozen bag of milk seemed to have an air bubble in it. I don't know if I didn't squeeze all the air out properly or if I didn't seal the bag correctly. Is this milk still safe for my LO? Does it now have freezer burn? Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Storage question.. please help

Here is some good info for you. Your milk should be fine.

One thing I would reccomend though is to periodically thaw a bag of milk and check it for excess lipase. There's a huge thread on here re that info. It doesn't mean the milk is bad, it just has a bad taste to it, kind of like soap. It sometimes happens when the milk is stored. I would thaw a bag periodically and taste it to make sure you don't have to scald your milk before storing it. I had to throw out bags of milk and start all over because I didn't even know what that was. Just thought I'd throw that out there, not to freak you out, just so you would be informed. It doesn't happen to everybody, but it sure does suck to have to throw out milk. You work so hard to pump it KWIM? I wish someone had told me to keep an eye out for it so I didn't have to waste all that milk. Anyway, if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me and I'll post the link to the "excess lipase" thread. HTH.

Here is the thread for the "Excess Lipase" thread