Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finger Foods

Default Finger Foods

Hello, I thought this would be a good place to post this. I am trying to start Justice on finger foods and it isn't going very well. I am not trying to start feeding him this way, but just want him to learn. So, here is the deal...every time I have given him something he ends up gagging. What can I do to help him learn to chew? What are some good foods to feed him that he has to chew, but are not a choking hazard? Thanks for any input!

Default Re: Finger Foods

If he's gagging, then I'd take that as a sign that he just isn't quite ready yet for foods that need chewing. It's a developmental skill, and when he's ready to master it, he'll figure it out on his own. I would stick to smoother solids and try finger foods again in a few weeks, perhaps.

You might post this question on the "Introducing Solids" board for more information and advice.

--Rebecca

Cut-up pieces of banana or soft pear , peas, cooked asparagus, green beans, cooked broccoli, cooked carrots, pieces of cheese, Cheerios, cooked pasta, just to mention a few. But make sure your baby is really ready for. I also give mine shredded beef and chicken!

Moving to Introducing Solids for more replies.

Mary

Cubes of cooked sweet potato are good too - they have a lovely, soft texture that babies can "gum" (as opposed to "chew"!) quite easily.

Just want to add something, my baby is 11 1/2 mos and not a single teeth yet, and he does great with finger foods! He looks like a little old man!