Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my baby is hardly ever happy!

Default Re: my baby is hardly ever happy!

Give it time... your baby should show more happy behavior in months 3 and 4. Try not to worry about all the other happy babies you see. I know it's hard, though. My first didn't roll over (either direction) until she was over 9 months old! I couldn't believe all the tiny babies I saw rolling over and was so worried! (She turned out just fine).
    In the meantime, try singing to baby and try to forget about it ... it will come.

I know it's hard, but try to relax. Riley was this same way at this age. He just cried and fussed all the time, unless he was nursing. We tried everything, we were even convinced at one point that he had colic. My DH did some more research and we decided that he was just high needs.

Swaddling helped, as did his vibrating bouncy seat. This was also the point that we moved him to his own crib, mainly so I could get some sleep. I was starting awake at every little sound, getting no real sleep. It really made my nerves raw, which made it harder to deal with the fussy baby.

I wouldn't really expect to see a "happy" baby, laughing, cooing, etc., until 3 or 4 months. At this point, your Little Guy is still getting used to being in the world. He was nice and warm, now he's cold, hungry, etc., and doesn't know how to handle it.

It does get better!!!

I think, like pps have said, that this is pretty normal. Looking back, I can't believe how fussy Haley was early on. I remember DH saying the same thing: "She's always crying. She's either nursing, sleeping, or crying." Slowly, over the last 3.5 months, she has settled down more and more. She got to the point where she wasn't super fussy and would smile some, but she still got mad a lot (I think because mentally she was ready to play with toys and do stuff but physically couldn't; it still makes her mad when she wants to do something that she just can't do yet!). Then we got to a point where as long as she was with someone, she was happy and smiley, but the second we set her down to go into another room for something as quick as a bathroom break, she'd be miserable. Now she's finally starting to play by herself a little. She chatters and shakes rattles and plays with dangly toys and doesn't mind if I'm doing something else for a few minutes. I think it just takes time. It can be frustrating, but hang in there. Your LO will get more and more enjoyable the more he adjusts to his new world and learns how to do new things.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

My babywas exactly like that at six weeks. From 8 weeks onwards we noticed a big improvement, now she is 13 weeks, still high maintenance but smiling loads and much easier.

It will get easier, I promise xxxxxx

My DS was like this. It was VERY hard on both me and DH. He was not a cuddly baby, and didn't like to comfort nurse. As the PP's have said, though, it did eventually get better. While he remained a high needs baby, he was much happier by around 4 months. Every baby is different, but here are some things that sometimes seemed to calm him even if only for a little bit: going outside, swinging on our porch swing (him sitting on my lap), being bounced in his aquarium bouncy seat, dancing to music.

Also, I've heard lots of good things about The Happiest Baby on the Block book. It also has a DVD. I haven't read it, but I think I will before our next is born.