Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my baby is hardly ever happy!

Default my baby is hardly ever happy!

last night my husband mentioned that our baby is never happy/always angry. unless he is eating, he generally does not seem very happy. he also seems to really like diaper changes and tolerates (maybe enjoys?) bathtime, but beyond that, he doesn't seem to be very happy.... does anyone else have a baby like this? he is 6 weeks old. what can we do to help make him happy? it seems like some babies just sit and smile all the time... ours is not like that! we do playtime, and sometimes he just screams through it. so overall he cries quite a bit of the time, like he is angry most of the time. this can be very frustrating.... i would not say it is colic per se, because it seems to happen almost all the time... doesn't colic generally have a certain time it happens? any advice is appreciated... thanks!

Default Re: my baby is hardly ever happy!

Hard to say but I would just say it's normal 6 week behavior. My husband loves the stage when they start to get more interactive...which is definately not at 6 weeks yet. At that stage they just don't do a lot, they aren't responsive or smiling, interactive yet. I always wondered if my daughter was getting enough stimulation or what I could do to make her happy but at that early stage they are too young to hold a toy or respond to much. It will come soon enough and you will discover more of his personality and what he enjoys. I think if it were colic, you'd know. It's very hard & trying on the parents. I hope he mellows out really soon!

hmmm, I would like to see what percentage of babies just sit smiling all the time...Im sure that number is extremely low.

Hugs to you. It will get better. Honestly most babies are not that happy till they can start sitting up or holding toys etc. At this stage they want to be held alot because they cant do anything on their own and even if they could they cant communicate it to us so they cry and fuss and seem unhappy. But they are just being babies. Again, it will get better. I even forgot what it was like with my first till now going through it with #2. Hanf in there. Your baby will be cooing and laughing before you know it.

At 6 weeks my DS still wasn't smiling or interacting much yet either. He was still screaming his little head off for everything except breastfeeding. I think the behavior you're describing sounds typical- actually week 6 for us was by far the worst week ever than it got better from there. At the end of week 8 we could get him to start smiliing and cooing back at us, and it has just been uphill since then. Hang with it and you will start to slowly see signs of a really happy baby in there!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I just wanted to add that this behavior has been pretty consistent since the first few weeks... it did not just start recently. Thanks to all for their comments. It can be very frustrating to hardly ever see a happy baby and can make you feel like what are you doing wrong?!?

I don't think its abnormal at all. I think for the first 3 months or so, they don't give a lot back to you. Its a lot of Take, Take, Take. But around 3-4 months Mama and Baby get into a nice groove and all of your love and nurturing starts to be paid back to you

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

we just hit 3 mos and it seems like just this week he is smiling and cooing to everyone and lovingg attention. he was so uninterested before i was worrying myself about all sorts of things! hang in there!

you could also go to askdrsears.com and check out his descriptions of a "high need baby"... could be you have a baby like that. we did (do)!
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Hi

They do go through a growth spurt at around 6 weeks.

But saying that, I do remember Brooke used to be like that as well, I remember people saying that after 6 weeks it becomes easier, but it didn't for us, we'd go to parent group and all the other babies were all happy and quiet and I remember I had to leave the room sometimes because Brooke was so unhappy, I used to think that was the way she was going to be, but she grew out of it at about 12 weeks. I think they can just get a bit frustrated.

I'm sure it will pass for you.

Sounds like my 7 month old daughter. Thats the age she was when she became a grumpy baby. She isn't as bad as she used to be.