Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much frozen milk

Default Too much frozen milk

I started freezing my breastmilk one month before I went back to work full-time. I think I have 100 oz milk stored in the freezer. Initially I pumped three times a day at work but now I am down to two because I would like to start using my frozen breastmilk. I am also running out of place in my freezer to store breastmilk. My daughter used to drink 5 to 5.5 oz. Lately, she is taking 4 to 4.5 oz. She is gaining weight and she is not sick or anything. She is teething. Does teething affect her appetite? She is 6 months old now. I am also concerned that I may have milk supply issues in the future due to stress levels at work. Is it possible to increase milk supply by pumping three times instead of two times? Thanks.

Default Re: Too much frozen milk

You could also donate it to a milk bank. You can increase supply by pumping more often.

Default Re: Too much frozen milk

Quote Originally Posted by valccho
    I started freezing my breastmilk one month before I went back to work full-time. I think I have 100 oz milk stored in the freezer. <

Wow! That is an awful lot of milk!
    It will keep in a freezer compartment inside a refrigerator (variable temperature due to the door opening frequently) for up to 2 weeks
    in a freezer compartment with a separate door (variable temperature due to the door opening frequently) for up to 3 to 4 months.
    in a separate deep freeze (0°F, -19°C) for up to 6 months or longer.
    Full information on human milk storage guidelings can be found at
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

>Initially I pumped three times a day at work but now I am down to two because I would like to start using my frozen breastmilk. I am also running out of place in my freezer to store breastmilk. My daughter used to drink 5 to 5.5 oz. Lately, she is taking 4 to 4.5 oz. She is gaining weight and she is not sick or anything. She is teething. Does teething affect her appetite? She is 6 months old now. <

Yes, teething can affect appetite.
    As long as she is growing well and is happy and healthy, you do not need to be too concerned about this. Her appetite will probably pick up soon.

Has your daughter recently started solids?
    Make sure that she nurses (or gets your milk) BEFORE being given other foods. Until a baby is one year old, her most important source of nutrition is human milk. She may be filling up on the lower-calorie solids and feel too full for the milk.
    BTW, a baby's tummy is the same size as her fist. This will give you an idea of ho much milk (and solids) she needs.

>I am also concerned that I may have milk supply issues in the future due to stress levels at work. Is it possible to increase milk supply by pumping three times instead of two times? Thanks.
    Although everybody is different, stress levels do not usually affect milk supply. Even mothers in war-torn areas are able to produce enough milk for their babies.
    Of course, if you are expecting additional stress at work, you might want to think NOW about ways to alleviate it, for your own sake This might include things like discussing the situation with your supervisor, rearranging your work schedule and so on. You might also want to think about taking mini-breaks to stretch and breath deeply, or practicing stress-reduction exercises like yoga or tai-chi, or simply taking a nice long walk after work with your baby in the stroller.

To answer your question, yes, you can increase your supply by nursing or pumping more often. In fact, your breasts will only make more milk when milk is removed, so the more frequently your nurse or pump, the more milk you will make. Nursing, of course, is almost always the most efficient way to signal your body to produce more milk.
    Hope this helps,

LLLnormaR