Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in output due to pumping pattern?

Default Change in output due to pumping pattern?

I have been BF and pumping for the last 5 months. For the last month and a half, I have been getting much less. I am wondering if it is the way I pump. The only way I can get a little bit of milk is to pump for maybe 10 min to start, then take a break, pump again for up to 5 min, .... And the pattern goes on. My milk doesn't really flow at all. The only time I get milk is when I let-down so the continuous breaks make that happen more.

I used to be able to pump for 20 min and get a few ounces (2.5 at most) but now I could spend hours just trying to get 2 oz.

Default Re: Change in output due to pumping pattern?

This can be soooo frustrating, I've had to constantly change how I pump over the past 6 months to get enough. I ran into the same problem, and I would spend sometimes 40min turning the pump off and on. It didn't work. I added in an extra pumping session, limited my pumping time to 20min per pumping session, and turned my pump down to where it wasn't uncomfortable, and that helped quite a bit after a couple days (my let-down seems a lot stronger now). I also stopped drinking as much water b/c a LLL leader mentioned your pee should be pale yellow, not clear, or it might interfere with let-down. I can get another let-down now by just turning the pump off and on, I don't need to take a 5min break.

I've had to take fenugreek, calcium supplements, eat oatmeal etc. I pump before I nurse in the am or before I go to bed if I come up short.

The thing that helped the most was taking a vacation where I EBF for a week, that really put my supply up where it needs to be!

Good to know about the water. I drink a lot! I wonder if I need a new pump too b/c my pump never hurts and I use it on the highest suction and cycle.
    Thanks!

Hi,

The previous poster gave you good advice. In addition, I have a couple ideas:

--is your pump in working order? On the Medela pump in style, for example, the little flaps might need to be replaced. Having everything on the highest setting doesn't sound good to me.

--does your baby nurse differently now? Longer, shorter, more on and off, whatever? I noticed that I had to change my pump settings as my baby changed the way he nursed. The more they mimic the baby the better.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Your pump shouldn't hurt, but it seems strange that you are using it at the highest setting. What kind of pump do you have?