Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help -baby thinks I'm a human pacifier!

Default Help -baby thinks I'm a human pacifier!

I am so frustrated right now. I apologize in advance for the long post.
    My DD is almost 17 months old. I've EBF and she sleeps with me and DH. I've spent the last 2 hours (like almost every night) trying to get her to sleep. All she wants to do is nurse and it's killing me - literally... for the last month or so my nipples are so sore. I'm not sure if it's because of how she's sucking or if I'm running out of milk or if it's her teeth, but it really hurts. But I try to make her happy so I give in (despite the pain.)

She loves her pacifier so while she nurses she holds it in her hand. Then she will latch off from me, suck her pacifier for a a minute, latch back on, and so on and so on. As you all know, when your nipples are sore, the worst part is latching on. If I try to tell her "all done". She will cry ("LECHE! LECHE! LECHE!!) and there comes a point that I just give in again so she'll just shut up (sorry if I sound a bit rough!).

When my husband puts her to sleep this isn't a problem, but he's not always available. And if going to sleep is not an issue - then my other issue is that sometimes she wakes up every hour at night to do the same thing. (Oh, she also like to use my breast as a pillow - seriously - when she's doing the whole latch on, latch off thing.. that part is kinda funny I must admit.)

What do I do??? Any advice or insight on what's causing the soreness and how I can treat it? What about the night wakings? (I've read other posts and have the links to Sears, Gordon, etc.)
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)

Default Re: Help -baby thinks I'm a human pacifier!

my dd went through a time similar to yours where she just wanted to nurse to know I was there. Even now she will wake at night to nurse for a few minutes then she's back to sleep. When I nurse her down to sleep I make sure that I let her drop off so that I know she's satisfied and sleeping rather than me trying to pry her off and her clinching her teeth! OUCH! My dd is now 20mos old and doesn't do the pacifier nursing anymore except when seh's stressed. Have you had any changes in your life lately? Change of jobs, routines, etc? That might trigger it. Other than that I don't know...Sorry!

Cathy
    Wife for 11 yrs and counting
    Mom to ds (12/96) bf 11mos
    dd (9/98) bf 6mos
    dd (11/05) bf 27mos and counting!

First of all for you! you sound so much like me at this time it's almost unreal, the soreness etc pacifier, all me I could have wrote this post my self! I have never had soreness till lately so I have figured it was the teething and might be the same for you. I don't really have much advice atm, but just a understanding ear! I hope it gets better for us soon!

I am on here today looking for advice concerning this too. My son is 15 mo. and uses me for his contentment for naps and at night. He wants only me for sleeping and nurses to sleep. He also cannot sleep more that 45 min or so with out me there. At night, he wants to use me to pacify him back to sleep 5 times + a night. I am sore, exhausted and ready for something different. I don't know what the contentment of sleep feels like anymore because I rarely get more that 3 hours at a time. He does this regardless of teething, etc.

I feel your pain- literally.

Have you looked at Dr. Jay Gordon's article? He has some great ideas.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

This sounds familiar to me, too. Sometimes I find that my son is roused out of sleep/ready to nurse when my breast is near. I think he can smell it. If I just skootch a few inches away from him, sometimes he'll drift off back to sleep. Or you could try rolling over and sleeping with your back to the kiddo (baby can feel your warmth and closeness but won't have a breast close by). Or if DH is game, you can nurse the baby down and then have dad cuddle him in bed. Again, the kiddo gets some love but isn't reminded of how wonderful it would be to snack.

I really liked the article from Dr Jay Gordon and we may try it eventually. Our son has just started daycare, though, so I want to make sure that he's getting enough to eat now--even if it's at night.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks, everyone. It does feel good to know that I'm not the only one going through this, (especially Mom04 & bbeam)!
    She has had some change in her life recently (besides the teething) -- at daycare they are transitioning her to the next room for 18 month old+. So I could see how nursing at night might be a stress reliever.... that was a good point, 1b2g3kids.

Mom04 - I started using Lansinoh again (I really hadn't used it since the baby was a few weeks old). And I've noticed that it has helped with the soreness.

St Louis Mom - I totally agree with you ["I think he can smell it."] It's amazing. Some nights, my husband will put her to sleep. She will be sleeping peacefully (for hours) and as soon as I get ready for bed and lie down (ever so quietly so I don't disturb her) she will start.. "LECHE? LECHE?" I really think they can smell it!
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)