Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Secondhand Pumps?

Default Secondhand Pumps?

Is it advisable to purchase electric pumps second hand? I think I read somewhere not to, is it because you can't sterilize the motor?

Default Re: Secondhand Pumps?

I was told that the parts the milk atcual touch should be replaced. Just as if you were getting one of the rented ones. the "base" part is the same, but the part that connects to the pump (the part the milk goes through) should only be used by one person.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Here's a link that I hope helps:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul04p54.html

From what I've read, it's not a good idea unless the secondhand pump has a closed system, like a hospital grade one. I personally wouldn't do it unless I was borrowing from someone I know and trust.

Hope this helps!

I thought no but then I got my PISA new and realized second-hand is ok. You can replace the parts the milk comes into contact with, and also the tubing, which the milk never comes into contact with. The risk Medela handwaves about is that somehow contaminates from the milk could flow through the tubing, although milk doesn't, and stay in the motor, and miraculously get back up the tubing and into your milk when the airflow is the opposite direction. I picked up a second pump second hand after that so now I have one at work and at home.

Medela says on their website not to reuse the pumps because they can be contaminated with viruses and bacteria. It is unlikely, but the manufacturer does not recommend it.

I just got a Ameda Purely Yours. It is FDA approved for multiple users because of a special valve system. I got it on eBay for $130 slightly used. It is working great for me. You can purchase a new Hygenic kit for yourself and not have any worries.

Medela PIS is not a closed system. Milk droplets can get onto the diaphram and theoretically could contaminate your milk. Medela does not warranty their single user pumps that have been passed on to other users for that very reason.

Ameda Purely Yours is the ONLY full size double electric pump (read: not a rental pump) that has a closed system (meaning the motor is inside a casing and cannot come in contact with milk).

The article posted above is a great reference, as are these:
    http://www.workandpump.com/used.htm
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml