Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it worth pumping anymore?

Default Is it worth pumping anymore?

I am feeling really frustrated this week with my pumping. Starting last Friday, I have been only getting drops in the bottles when pumping. I have been drinking lots of water, eating oatmeal, drinking mother's milk tea. I cannot take fenugreek because it upsets my stomach. I spend almost an hour total on my three pumping sessions and I am lucky to get an ounce total. That is not even close to enough for a bottle and I feel like I am just wasting my time. My pump is working fine and I am feeding/pumping every two hours from 7 am to 5 pm. I just need some good thoughts because I am thinking about throwing in the towel. My DD is 8 and half months old. She is already getting one bottle of formula a day because of my inability to pump. I feel so guilty becuase I just can't seem to pump enough.

Default Re: Is it worth pumping anymore?

Consult your doctor. Anyway, my thoughts on it are this:
    I pump only in the morning because any other time of the day I can't get much at all...I don't even bother.
    1 bottle of formula shouldn't be a big deal...after all, plenty of children are exclusively formula fed and they are fine. I was a formula fed baby and I turned out just fine...except for the occasional depression problems and such...but one bottle of formula is not going to do anything.

What type of pump are you using? It's possible that the pump just isn't working for you. I know that some pumps work for me and others don't. I got a couple drops out of my Avent Isis Manual, but ounces out of my Medela Symphony.

Wow you're working really hard at this! Pumping is a consant struggle for me too. At first I had more than enough but then not so much, so I tried to pump longer, turn up the suction, drink more water etc., none of which really helped. A LLL leader told me your pee should be pale yellow, not clear, or it could interfere with let-down. I started limiting my pumping sessions to no more than 20min b/c apparently it's better to increase the number of pumping sessions than pump longer per session. I put the setting of my pump lower so that I felt no discomfort. I started taking calcium supplements b/c some of my supply problems are related to my cycle. I added in a pumping session. Within a few days of modifying my pumping routine my milk was letting down much stronger and the milk was flowing longer, and I can turn the pump off and on to get the milk to let-down again if I need to, or use breast compression to get more out. If I still come up short I can usually sneak a few oz out before they nurse in the am, or before I go to bed.

Have you recently gotten AF back? I ask b/c when mine showed up my supply almost dried up, it took me 2 weeks of nursing around the clock and pumping after nursing to get it back up. Now I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement and it makes a world of difference.

And if this isn't working with your lifestyle, don't beat yourself up, you've made it a long long time, you've been pumping longer than 90% of women even bf, and even if you can't keep pumping there's no reason you can't keep nursing when you're home.

First thing I'd do is take a pregnancy test :P....the same thing happened to me....turned out I was pregnant lol

I am not PG. I use a Ameda Purely Yours double pump. Pumping is not painful, just frustrating. I have gone three hours this morning without pumping and now I am barely getting anything. My pee is the right color and I am eating oatmeal everyday.

Is it better to turn the speed of the pump down after you get a letdown?

This just sucks.

I use the PISA so my speed goes down/suction goes up after the let down phase, I don't know how that translates into the Ameda pump. Yes, it does suck. The most I can tell you is I hit a very rough spot a little over a month ago and AF showed up in the middle of it, it took 2 weeks of taking steps to increase my supply and I finally recovered from it. This may be a temporary thing for you that will pass in a couple weeks, so if you want to keep going you could start increasing the number of pumping and nursing sessions (try to nurse or pump about every 1.5-2hrs, decrease pumping time to 10-15min a pumping session), and pump 5-8min after nursing too, and hope in a few days to a week you'll see an improvement. It's brutal though, that was the hardest challenge I've dealt with so far! I mean, I had to nurse twins around the clock, pump after as many nursings as possible, and add in an extra pumping session at work, and somehow try to do work, eat, drink water and care for my babies at home. But now my supply is back up and I'm really glad I didn't give up, the prospect of possibly not nursing anymore really upset me.
    Last edited by april213; August 17th, 2007 at 12:20 PM.