Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poly-Vi-Sol

Default Poly-Vi-Sol

My pediatrian recommended that I give my 2 month old son poly-vi-sol w/ iron since we are only breastfeeding and not including any formula w/ iron in his diet. Has anyone else heard this advice from their dr? If so, how much do you give the babies? The package says 1 ml for infants and toddlers...it could not be 1 ml across the board for a 2 month old and 2 year old, could it? Thanks!

Default Re: Poly-Vi-Sol

I don't think your baby really needs it. If I'm not wrong babies have a good iron supply until 6 months of age and after that if the mother have a good balance diet there and your baby is thriving there should be no reason to give him any vitamin/supplement.

We have a prescription for it as well. The pedi said it was to get him used to the taste so he will take it later when he needs it. I'm not good about giving it to him, I don't feel okay with doing it when he doesn't "need" it, you know?
    I don't have the bottle here (at work), but we give a dropperful when we do. I'm not positive about the dose, but it looks like a Tylenol dropper (infant).

Quote Originally Posted by JenStarr
    My pediatrian recommended that I give my 2 month old son poly-vi-sol w/ iron since we are only breastfeeding and not including any formula w/ iron in his diet.
    Your breast milk has PLENTY of iron! Yes, it's true that breastmilk has less iron than formula BUT (and this is a big but) the iron in breastmilk is absorbed at a much higher rate than the iron in formula is. The reason why formula has more iron is that the iron in formula is not readily absorbed into the body.

Another good thing to know is that healthy, full-term babies have enough iron stores at birth to last at least through their first six months.

Here is some good info (not a LLL resource):
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Quote Originally Posted by JenStarr
    Has anyone else heard this advice from their dr? If so, how much do you give the babies? The package says 1 ml for infants and toddlers...it could not be 1 ml across the board for a 2 month old and 2 year old, could it? Thanks!
    The advice given from doctors is fairly common. Some doctors have not heard that that the iron in breastmilk is more readily absorbed...they simply look at the difference in numbers. If you ONLY look at the numbers (and not how well the body absorbs the iron), you would come to the conclusion that formula has more iron. And more is always better, right?

I don't know much about the dosages on this product.

Here is some great info about vitamins and breastmilk:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

HTH
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; May 16th, 2006 at 01:04 PM.

my dr. recomend me giving my daughter it too. i dont give it to her everyday. it gives her really bad poops.

My ped. alo recommended the vitamins. I didn't think that they contained iron though? I thought that they were just vitamins A, C and D?

I'm glad you posted this. My pedi also recommended this vitamin supplement immediately---when my son was only 1 week old. Pedi recommended 1/2 dropperful until 6 months, then 1 dropperful after that. I bought it but just didn't feel right about giving him vitamins already. The kind I have is only Vitamins A, C & D. There may be another kind that includes iron. I gave it to him 1 time, it smelled so bad just in the bottle and the look on his face after the dose was enough for me to not do it again. I eat healthy, take a whole food nutrition supplement myself and believe that BM is the food God made for my baby. Lab-created vitamins include dosages (IU's) that are so out of whack compared to what nature provides, like Jolie wrote about the iron in formula & breastmilk. Because there is more does not make it better. Naturally occuring vitamins, minerals & enzymes are much better absorbed & utilized by our bodies than the high concentrations put in man-made vitamin supplements. Some studies I have seen suggest that the high concentrations could even be detrimental to our long-term health.