Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS & Growth Spurt

Default OS & Growth Spurt

Argh! My LO started having green poo on Sunday (thanks to here, I started looking ). Anyway...as I look into reasons why, LO & I seem to be having that oversupply fore/hind imbalance. He's gassy (both ends), chokes, gulps, we make a mess, and he started spitting up a bit. He also had been having explosive full poo diapers all day long (and I mean all day....not just a little streak in every diaper but almost a blowout 8+ times a day).

So, again thanks to here, I stopped pumping that one bottle each day (I only pumped 1 or 2 x ea. day....and would get about 3-4 ounces after he would finish nursing) and started block feeding (4 hrs or 2 full feedings per side). His poo just started to turn olive green, and then more yellowish. He seems to not be exploding every diaper. And he hadn't seemed to choke as much....still gassy (I just say he takes after his dad. ). I was feeling good about it....

NOW he seems to be hitting 6 wk growth spurt. Do I keep block feeding? Go back to regular? And to think I worried about supply....it seems like I had to constantly worry about it with the twins and a couple nurses were sure I'd have to supplement with this one (barely did with the twins tho), so I was worried about it now.

And, if this is/was oversupply...how do you pump to have some relief or to be able to go to your hair appt with out starting the problem over?
    Last edited by KariC; August 15th, 2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: I had both hands free after LO was done nursing, thought I'd clarify

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

Default Re: OS & Growth Spurt

Quote Originally Posted by KariC View Post
    Argh!
    So, again thanks to here, I stopped pumping that one bottle each day (I only pumped 1 or 2 x ea. day....and would get about 3-4 ounces after he would finish nursing) and started block feeding (4 hrs or 2 full feedings per side). His poo just started to turn olive green, and then more yellowish. He seems to not be exploding every diaper. And he hadn't seemed to choke as much....still gassy (I just say he takes after his dad. ). I was feeling good about it....
    I'm so glad you were able to figure out what the problem was and make your baby more comfortable breastfeeding. Good for you!

NOW he seems to be hitting 6 wk growth spurt. Do I keep block feeding? Go back to regular?
    You can keep up the block feeding as long as he is satisfied. If he seems to want more after nursing on one side for a while, you can offer the other breast. Many mothers find that their oversupply problems start to settle down during a growth spurt. Baby's demand starts to equal mother's supply.

And, if this is/was oversupply...how do you pump to have some relief or to be able to go to your hair appt with out starting the problem over?
    Most of the time, hand-expressing, just a little until you are comfortable is sufficient to relieve engorgement due to oversupply. Any expression above that can make oversupply worse. If you need a little expressed milk for a time when you will be seperated from baby, you could try hand expressing on one side while baby nurses on the other. If you do choose to use a pump, you might consider only pumping on one side...and then, just enough to get your baby through the separation.

HTH. You're doing great, mama!

Tiana

Thanks...I'm trying to cope with the 3 kids here.... It's been quite a day. I think LO is only going 1 hr at a time, so I'm just alternating sides now.

? about pumping....when I pump one side while he's nursing...I get 2-3.5 oz. Is this normal or a lot? I just know when I pumped for the twins I could barely get an ounce out of one side. I always thought I was a bad pumper. I was using a Medela PNS then, and now have an Avent Isis IQ (duo model).

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

That would be a lot to pump from one side for a 6 week old baby. Most mothers of babies that age get about 2 ounces from both sides. Of course, that is an average, and everyone's body is different.

They type of pump you have can affect pump output. It's all very individual. It sounds as though, in your case, the Avent pump works better than the Medela. Again, everyone's different.

It sounds like you're doing a great job, mama!

Tiana