Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting 5mo. to NIP again...

Default Getting 5mo. to NIP again...

My 5mo. is no longer willing to NIP. He'd rather wait until we get home, even going to gram's for Mother's Day. Wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that it made him dehydrated judging by the color of his diapers. I'm trying to stay close to home, but even LLL meetings are too far if this keeps up. Ideas to try? If it's a stage, how long??

Default Re: Getting 5mo. to NIP again...

Sorry to hear that. I've never experience that, but let's hope is just a phase! I don't have any ideas yet, but if worst come to worst express some milk before you leave the house and try it in a bottle, it's better than nothing. I know a bottle is not the best answer, but at last resort it might be, I don't think you should stay in house arrest! Good luck

Maybe if you used a blanket or a cover-up so the LO can't see what around?

House arrest...lol...feels that way sometimes...

I've borrowed a sling to try (need to get help still), but so far ds hates blankets even more than general NIP. Not sure if it's too late to accept a bottle, but maybe a sippy cup sooner or later...Is my ds the only one???
    Last edited by Quiteria; May 16th, 2006 at 10:56 AM.

Good Idea with the sippy cup. My son use one with a straw, he loves it; it's made by Parent's Choice at walmart, I think the name is Flip-it and it's insulated, nuby made one just like it but the other one is chipper.

My DS became very erratic with his nursing between three and six or seven months. While he didn't completely quit NIP, he would nurse MUCH less when we were out and about and some days would go as much as six or seven hours during the day without nursing. He never seemed to be dehydrated, though, and continued to gain (although slower than before and not evenly--might gain one ounce one week and then five ounces the next). My DS continued to nurse through the night, so I just figured that while many babies started to take long breaks during the night, mine took them during the day instead. My DS was always much more likely to nurse when sleepy, so if were out and he fell asleep, I would put him to the breast right when he started to stir and often he would eat. Sometimes he was more likely to nurse if we could find a quiet area so often I would take him to the car, but sometimes he would still wait until we got home and could lay down to nurse (that was his favorite position). The phase did pass, and he was happily NIPing again by the time he was seven months or so I think. Just wait and it should pass!

Quote Originally Posted by llowe
    My DS became very erratic with his nursing between three and six or seven months. While he didn't completely quit NIP, he would nurse MUCH less when we were out and about and some days would go as much as six or seven hours during the day without nursing. He never seemed to be dehydrated, though, and continued to gain (although slower than before and not evenly--might gain one ounce one week and then five ounces the next). My DS continued to nurse through the night, so I just figured that while many babies started to take long breaks during the night, mine took them during the day instead. My DS was always much more likely to nurse when sleepy, so if were out and he fell asleep, I would put him to the breast right when he started to stir and often he would eat. Sometimes he was more likely to nurse if we could find a quiet area so often I would take him to the car, but sometimes he would still wait until we got home and could lay down to nurse (that was his favorite position). The phase did pass, and he was happily NIPing again by the time he was seven months or so I think. Just wait and it should pass!
    that describes us exactly! Except for holding out until dehydrated...it was a hot, sweaty day, too, and he's done it twice that badly. He screamed when I tried in the car...his feet bumped the door handle, and it made him mad/distracted! I am so glad to hear that it passed, and not too much longer. Older dd and I are just the opposite, much happier on the go...