Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nursing bras/tops

Default Re: nursing bras/tops

The only alt. I have to a nursing bra is using my sports bras...at home I don't wear them much, but it makes NIP so much easier.

Instead of nursing tank tops I just have a few oversized tanks that I can use under my shirts so that my back and tummy won't show. I just pull it down when I unhook the bra...

HTH
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I hate nursing bras. I don't know why! Lol. I wear an unpadded and stretchy bra so it's confy to push aside. For me, NIP means my front yard - not the mall. So I don't worry about it much. A recieving blanket is just fine for a cover up.

My FAVORITE shirt for nursing is a "johnny collar" shirt. The V is so low that it's super easy to use and the cut isn't revealing. It is ruched on the sides so it is super cute and hides my belly. I got it for super cheap at a regulr store - not sold as a nursing shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    I live in my Target nursing tanks.
    Me too. I think I've got about 10, in 3 colors. I bought just one nursing bra, and I don't like it, but the tanks rock.

I like nursing bras around the house (if I'm wearing any bra at all)....but when out and about I prefer a nursing tank with any shirt I want over it. This way I can lift my shirt, open the tank and not have my whole midsection exposed. I do not want people seeing my postpartum flab while I'm nursing in public if you KWIM. HTH!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice, and suggestions, I love this forum.

I think I will buy one bra and one tank, to start, and see what works best for me.

Thanks again!

I don't have a nursing top. I usually wear a cheap camisole under my regular shirt/ t-shirt so I don't have to show my belly when I NIP.

I have 3 nursing bras that were very cheap (around 15$ CAN) and sometimes I still use my regular bras (the one with some padding) The regular one are definitely not as practical but I didn't want to spend a fortune on breastfeeding articles at the beginning because I wasn't sure how long I would last! So I manage to get use to the regular one and DD&I can now switch between the regular one and nursing ones easily.

If you wanna keep going with the regular one, I would recommend not to take the one with a lot of metal support in it (sorry I don't know the exact word in english, in french we call that the "baleines") because I think it causes me some engorgement at the beginning. I just use the soft one with a little bit of padding.

Hope this helps!
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

I HATE my nursing bras. They are so bulky. I use a regular bra and just whip them out in the middle. No clasps to have to fiddle with.
    I LOVED my nursing shirts. When AJ was younger, I made my own nursing shirts. I would wear a long sleeve shirt and cut slits where my breasts are. I would then wear a t-shirt over top and then all I would have to do is lift the top shirt and my belly would still be covered by the bottom shirt. It was really discreet and so easy to deal with. Especially when we were in the mall or around family or something. Anyway, HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by babygurl View Post
    The only alt. I have to a nursing bra is using my sports bras...at home I don't wear them much, but it makes NIP so much easier.

Instead of nursing tank tops I just have a few oversized tanks that I can use under my shirts so that my back and tummy won't show. I just pull it down when I unhook the bra...

HTH
    I just posted this in another thread about using Sports bras instead of nursing bras whats the difference to me they feel more comfy than any other bra

I love the nursing bras. I just recently bought one from target along with a tank shirt that I love cuz I can wear under any of my shirts to cover my tummy. just buy 2-3 at that should be good for a while. I would like to have a few more nursing shirts but my lord they r expensive.

I find my target nursing tanks uncomfortable...almost as if they are too tight. Iwear a 34C bra, and have size med tanks...does this sizing sound right?

Maybe I just find the fit restrictive. I'm happy when I get home and can take it off!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years