Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nursing bras/tops

Default nursing bras/tops

How important are nursing bras and/or tops??? They seem awful expensive, and I'd rather not spend all that money on something that's not really necessary.

Default Re: nursing bras/tops

You just have to find what works for you, I think everyone is different in this case. Personally I love nursing bras but hate nursing shirts. I got my nursing bras at Target and Motherhood and they were all under $20.00.

If you choose to not wear a nursing bra make sure you're wearing a bra that does not have an underwire.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I like my nursing bras, and I didn't pay that much for them. I bought them, as pp said, at Target and MM. I just like the "easy access" aspect, although there are mamas on here who manage to do quite well with regular bras. Since I wear nursing pads all the time still, I particularly like my sleep bra. It's much more comfy/freer than a regular bra but holds the pads in and just slides to the side rather than opening with a little snappy thing. (Sad to say, the snappy thing has woken Haley several times if I clicked it before I left the room.)

ETA: As for shirts, that's just a preference thing. I only have a couple nursing tanks, which I occasionally will wear underneath another shirt if I'm going out and want to have my tummy fully covered. I don't find it that hard to stay comfortably covered in a regular shirt, though, so it wasn't worth the investment for me. This might be something you decide on as you NIP and see how comfortable you are.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

i have never had a nursing shirt- but nursing bras i could not live without. motherhood maternity has a basic nursing bra for like 12 or 14 dollars. i do not know how mothers do it without!

I used nursing bras in the begining, but I never found one that fit really well. Eventually I found a stretchy bra that fit good that I could just pull up and down when needed. For me this was easier that latching and unlatching my nursing bras.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

I live in my Target nursing tanks. It's just so much easier. The few times that I tried wearing a normal bra and shirt it was a disaster to NIP. I ended up with a huge wet spot on my shirt just below my breast, very attractive

My nursing bras were $40/per but I was a 34DD pre baby so I had to buy specialty bras

I would just buy one to begin with and see how it goes but I would go crazy without them.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I love my nursing bra's, but haven't purchased any nursing tops - except two target nursing tanks that I don't find very comfortable.

I have cut slits in some tank tops that I wear under a button front top or sweater - that seems to work for me.

I am going to a wedding, I'll probably splurge on a nursing outfit for that!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I couldn't manage without nursing bras. For me, I actually like to have about 5 of them because I have to wear one 24/7 (yes, even to sleep). I also leak a lot and even with pads, I end up having to wash them often. A regular bra would be a terrible pain in my opinion. I don't know how that would work for letting the bra cup down to nurse in public. All my nursing bras were cheap too and I like the sleep bras at Motherhood for $11.

I do have one GlamoutMom nursing tank that I am excited about. That was expensive but I love it and it will hide my tummy.

i cannot imagine trying to nurse, either at home or in public, without a nursing bra - what a pain that would be. I do not own Nursing shirts per se, as I have been lucky enough to find clothes that work, button down shirts, or tops with low necklines that I I can wear a tank under.

I have spent lots of money on nursing bras, and the ones from target are my faves.

I say get yourself some bras at least, but you don't have to break the bank on them!

I LOVE my nursing bras . . . I have nursed with regular bras before and it is just uncomfortable and more difficult to try and move your breast over the cup, etc. Like most PP stated, target and Motherhood Maternity have great inexpensive ones. The plus about Motherhood Maternity is they will measure you and suggest certain bras for you. I would also recommend waiting until you are very close to deliver (or even better, wait til after you have baby) to go buy bras. Your boobs will change SOOO much in that few short weeks. Good luck!!