Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SNS questions

Default SNS questions

Hi
    I'm gonna try one more thing to try to build a supply. I just got an SNS and was wondering what the best way is to using it. I went to kellymom.com got some info there but wondering what others think. I though I should try with max amount of supplement (weird milk from the breast feels like it's the supplement at the moment ) for a few days and start reducing the amount by an once/feed every couple of days. Should that work. And is it very commun to have a dependence on the SNS. TIA

Default Re: SNS questions

I used one with my first baby! I slowly start reducing the amount of supplement and also change tubing sizes, that way she was getting more from my breast than the supplementer. It did work for me, after over 3 weeks of separation and only pumping for those weeks, I was able to feed my DD again!, taking herbal supplements also help.

Well, I tried the SNS yesterday and it did not work. I couldn't tell if it was going too slow or too quick. DS only sucked for a few min, and then started crying. I will try again today and see if it's any different. Does anyone have any tips on using an SNS that may help. TIA

Start using the biggest size tubing and then change to a smaller size when you think he's eating better. Try finding a LLL Leader on your area, she might help you with and make sure you're using it properly.

You could also try to phone the hospital where you had dd and see if you could see a LC.

I'm using one right now and have been for over a week. But I'm using it exactly like breastfeeding with supply and demand. I keep it filled, she eats until she's full and then we quit. I dont know how to decrease the amount of formula when each day is different. I wanted this to be much like breastfeeding...

Would others that have/are using it suggest picking an amount and sticking to it for a few days? What do you do if your baby is still hungry?

Miguels Mom, I would keep trying. So far, I feel like my supply is getting better. Just intution...no real signs. The key is to have the milk at the tip of the tube when he starts to nurse. Squeeze the bottle (if it's a Medela) just when he starts to nurse and that will help it come out faster. Dont make him work for it. Do it that way for a few days. Pretty soon you wont have to do that. Also, be really careful about making sure the tube isnt pinched closed. My DD get SO upset when that happens. Watch out for that!

I hope someone else can tell us how to wean off it...that's where I'm out now. Wondering how to go from here to there. I have no problem using it as long as necessary of course, but that's my ultimate goal.

Thanks for you'r replies. As for the SNS I have used something similar at the hospital (a small tube and seringe) when baby was born with the help of an LC. I don't think the problem is not knowing how to use it, I think it's that my DS is older and distracted. I should maybe get off our schedule and start feeding as often as I did when baby was younger.

intime0 : Do you always have it filled and wearing it all day. How much formula do you keep in. I'm affraid the formula would go bad before the LO would feed.
    And for the weaning I found some info on kellymom.com I'll go find the link and post it.

Hi intime0
    I found this link on weaning from formula supplement. Hope it works.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

I dont even wear the silly thing. I do keep it filled though. I also have a bottle filled in the fridge. after every feeding I just fill it up again. Does that make more sense? (Then put it in the fridge till she wants to nurse again.) I try to do it just like breastfeeding. I know how many ounces she gets in a day from the supplementer, but I dont limit it. Dont know if that's right or not.

I've read the website but they limit the formula. I guess I should try doing that...I just want to make sure she gets enough to eat. SInce I dont know how much breastmilk she gets I want her to eat until she's full. But if I decided 30 oz is enough and she's still hungry, what do I do? I'm a little confused as to exactly how I'm suppose to do it.

How old is your baby? Mine is 3 1/2 months. Do NOT try to keep him on a schedule. Your milk supply wont increase. Distraction could be a problem, but not getting milk causes them to get really upset. So try the tips about making sure it's ready to go and tell us how that works. That is how I finally got her back to nursing.