Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: does it hurt to pump all the time

Default does it hurt to pump all the time

i have just started to work on storing milk and pumped yesterday and today. my nipples feel,, well, not sore but there is slight discomfort. No, sensitive to touch is the correct description. how about you? what happens when you pump regularly? do your nipples get accustomed? how long did it take?

Default Re: does it hurt to pump all the time

I can't rememver how long it takes, but you get used to the feeling quickly... Are you using a low setting?
    I always start gentle, then increase the speed.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I agree with the PP. Start slow and then gradually increase the speed. I find that after pumping for 5 days at work (2-3 times daily), my ninnies are ready for a break. I welcome the weekends and exclusive breastfeeding. However, in the 3.5 months I have been pumping, I have noticed that the discomfort has decreased.
    Those first few seconds hooked up to the pump do still take my breathe away though!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Pumping shouldn't hurt, I never had any discomfort from the pump when I first started pumping. I have had discomfort from thrush and when one of my los was chewing on me, and I went through a phase 3 months in where I thought it was a good idea to turn the pump higher b/c I wasn't getting enough milk, bad idea, it gave me chronic nipple pain (if your nipples are blanched after pumping you may be doing this). Now I turn the pump lower if I feel any discomfort, and it seems that my let-down improved so I got more milk out that way than turning the pump higher. I can turn it up a little higher after my milk lets down, my PISA does this for me automatically. I also have to make sure I don't go over 20min or I get sore nipples too.

The sensitivity goes away after a while. Mine lasted about 5 weeks and just about when I went back to work it quit. I don't know if it was from the pumping, but I pump 5x a day and dont have any anymore. I think it was from the nipples getting used to nursing.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

thanks
    i'm using an isis manual.......