Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation....

Default Constipation....

..... lovely subject,eh?

I try to balance diet, but sometimes he still winds up constipated. What do you do to get things moving again?

I bought some organic prune puree to add to his oatmeal in the morning. Any other tips?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Constipation....

Our DS likes eating regular prunes. I get organic prunes and cut it into 3 or 4 pieces. DS loves to self feed them and begs for more ... but we're careful to not let him have too many.

Also - we offer a sippy with water during meals.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Pear pieces are great (in natural juices, not syrup from a can). Also, I give Peter pieces of prunes to munch on. They are messy, but get things moving along nicely. Flaxseed bread also works great for us....but do you still think Daniel has a wheat sensitivity? You could add flaxseed or flaxseed meal to his oatmeal in the morning.

Pears are easy to digest so great for constipation. Good luck
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I agree with the pears. Prunes or prune juice didn't do a thing for Hunter, we discovered...by accident (what a mess)...that pears do!!!

Most days I put in a small amount of ground flaxseed in his morning oatmeal. We eat lots of fruit (watermelon,peaches,kiwi etc) and if I'm feeding him something that I think may be constipating I'll bake some pears w cinnamon for dessert. I'll also do the prune puree. Water helps too. We've had one episode of constipation and it was not fun. Good luck.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Peaches do it for my DD who does not like Prunes... then again I don't either so Peaches work.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

P foods work well. We found prune juice worked wonders
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks. I would do prune juice, but can't find organic. I have heard that black cherry juice is similar? Any input?

We used the organic prune puree in his oatmeal today and things are moving along quite nicely.

I need to do more research into flaxseed.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

We also use prunes. Regular Gerber baby pureed prunes. I haven't been able to find organic pureed prunes anywhere. I wanted to try flaxseed oil, but saw that it is processed in a plant that processes peanuts, etc. Was concerned about allergies. Anyone have trouble w/ that w/ flaxseed oil? or is it ok to use? I've heard avacados work for constipation, too, but we haven't had much luck w/ that.