Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping & need help

Default New to pumping & need help

I just got my pump today. I got the Avent Isis manual pump. I noticed that some people said that they had very little suction when they started using it. My problem is just the opposite. Well, it's not that there was too much suction, it's just that the suction wasn't just on my areola. I noticed that part of my areola (and not just the nipple) was being sucked into the little tube area. It sucked in only one side of the area, and it was swollen and sore when I was done. Now it hurts pretty bad and I'm afraid to pump again because I don't want the other side to hurt. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Default Re: New to pumping & need help

I've never uses the Avent pump, not even a manual, but I'm guessing you need a different size attachment. My experience, I had to use a smaller cup inside the bigger cup, otherwise it would be very uncomfortable and I wouldn't express as much milk.

Try assuring that the "petal insert" is in the shield correctly. Then, make sure that your nipple is centered in the shield before you begin pumping. If you notice your nipple is off to the side, stop and reinsert you nipple. You can also remove the "petal insert" and see if that makes things more comfortable.

Remember that pumping is a learned art.

I'm pretty sure your problem is that you need a different size shield - a smaller one. But, if memory serves me correct, Avent doesn't make that. You may want to switch to one of the other brands that have a fairly good, average priced pump with changeable shield sizes - such as the Medela Harmony (trigger pump). It's priced less than the Avent pump by about $15-$20 in most stores. Or...if the actual shield part is removable (I haven't had any actual experience with the Avent pump) and you have a store that has pumps out for display, you may want to bring in your pump and see which other brand's shield fits you & your pump, then just buy that part. Good luck!

You may want to remove the silicone "petal" part. I found that my breast felt like it was getting pinched when I used the petal attachment. It is much more comfortable for me to use just the hard shield. It's worth a shot!