Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: coming up

Default coming up

well, my little christian is coming up on a year! 1 1/2 months left. and im wondering, i thought we would be nursing alot right on through the first year mark. i never set a "time limit" for myself, i just said whatever happens happens. and what im seeing happen is that he is slowly weaning down to about 2-3 nursings a day. is that about the norm for an almost one year old? he is completely on table foods, he had some trouble gaining weight and so we introduced some healthy table foods and now he refuses baby food. so im thinking maybe it's that he is getting fuller from the new foods. i try to offer the breast but he just sucks a few seconds and then pulls off and wants to go play...i don't have a problem with it, but im just wondering if he is getting enough through those few nursings. he nurses for about 10 minutes at those sessions, before bed and at wake up, then maybe one more nursing in the day.

but i do have to add, if i give him the milk in a sippy cup he will drink it, even if he refuses my breast. im contributing that to the fact that it is WAY hot here in vegas and he likes the cold milk rather than my warm body temp milk.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

Default Re: coming up

I don't know about warm milk in hot weather thats a good point.
    Also it could be that he figured out that if he relaxes and nurses that he will fall asleep and you don't want that. lol There is too much to do at one and 1/2 .
    Kids can go a long time on just nursing when the get up and when they go to bed with out weaning themself. And if that makes the baby happy and you don't feal like weaning then keep going!

my little girl is almost 10 months and i find myself in the same situation. she rarely nurses more than 10 minutes at a time, with the longer sessions before bed and when she wakes up. she nurses only 3-4 times a day and takes 3 bottles at daycare. as with everything so far, i'm just taking her lead. she seems happy, healthy in every way. and the world is way too interesting a place now--so many things to discover! why would she waste more time than necessary at mommy's breast when she could be playing and babbling away!

Quote Originally Posted by Maya's Mom
    my little girl is almost 10 months and i find myself in the same situation. she rarely nurses more than 10 minutes at a time, with the longer sessions before bed and when she wakes up. she nurses only 3-4 times a day and takes 3 bottles at daycare. as with everything so far, i'm just taking her lead. she seems happy, healthy in every way. and the world is way too interesting a place now--so many things to discover! why would she waste more time than necessary at mommy's breast when she could be playing and babbling away!
    well that is a heck of a lot more than my christian lol

but i do see that there is more to do and play with and that is understandable..

and after i posted this he ate 2 long nursings...silly boy.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

I hope one of the moderators will reply to this, but from what I know about how much 10 months old babies should nurse, that does not seem like enough. The American Academy of Pediatrics, and LLL, both recommend that breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition for babies under a year. Solid food is supposed to be a supplement, not replacement for breastmilk. Does your baby take a pacifier? Or a bottle? I know many breastfed babies who happily went back and forth between breast and bottle start prefering the bottle around your sons age, because of the portability factor. As for the warm vs. cold milk, I thing that a preference for cold drinks on a hot day is a learned preference. I know in other countries, hot drinks on a hot day are considered more cooling.

Congratulations on getting close to one year!
    Babies and toddlers are all so different, it's hard to say what the norm is for any particular age. If you are concerned about how much table food he is getting vs. nursing, one approach you could take is offering to nurse before table foods. That way his belly is getting milk first and anything else is just complementary.
    Anecdotally speaking, I have heard many mothers talk about reduced nursing as their babies approach one year due to how busy those babies can be at this age. Paying attention to output and growth may give you the reassurance you need that he is getting enough.
    You may find that closing curtains and eliminating noise will help with reducing distractions and longer nursing sessions. Nighttime nursings can also be a way to catch up when babies are too busy to nurse during the day.

HTH!
    Mary

My Lily is 13m. She is down to nursing about every 4hrs during the day (morning, before nap, late afternoon, before bed) and at least once or twice in the middle of the night and early morning.

On the days that she is being particularly flighty and preoccupied with things other than nursing, she will more than make up for it at night, nursing 3, 4, even 5 or 6 times between 8p & 8a. When she is sick, like last week, we were nursing every 2-3hrs.

What has helped me when she is clearly wanting to nurse, but is being distracted, is to go to her nursery, with the shades drawn, the lights off, and just sit and nurse. Sometimes we rock first or read a book first, but it gets her calm and focused. Usually she'll happily latch on at that point. And if not, then I know I've done all I could to make it available to her.

From the people I've talked to, 3-4x/during the day and 1-2x (or even none)/at night is pretty "average" for a 12m old. But, of course, whatever is working for you and your nursling is what's best for you.