Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Frequency

Default Pumping Frequency

I would like to know if pumping 3x a day for 15-20 mins each time is enough to maintain my milk supply. I also nurse my baby in the mornings, mainly because she is tired and will take to me. Thank you for your information.

Default Re: Pumping Frequency

How old is your baby? How often does baby eat? Is baby exclusively on breastmilk or is baby taking some solids?
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

to maintain your supply you should pump as often as you would nurse, if LO nurses every 2 1/2 hours, pump every 2 1/2 hours, as for length of time you pump, it depends on what kind of pump you are using, best is to go until 3 or 4 min after milk stops, sometimes if you keep going for a few min after that you will get a 2nd letdown too. For example, my dd is almost 9 months, she eats every 3 hours, so when I am at work I pump every 3 hours. I use a Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump and usually can finish with 2 letdowns in about 20 min. When I used a hand pump or just do hand expression, it takes much longer (30 min each side usually).
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Welcome Ella Grace!

What are your nursing goals? Are you hoping to provide your baby with only breastmilk, or are you interested in feeding both formula and breastmilk? How old is your baby? Can you tell us a little more about your situation?

Hi ladies, thanks for the info. I have a six month old and I had to go back to work. I'd like to continue her on breastmilk instead of giving her formula, that's why I want to pump. I'd like to make it to at least one year. I work 9-10 hour days and nursing her during the day is not an option. I nurse her in the mornings but when I get home from work she is already in bed.
    I rented a Medela Symphony pump from the hospital supply store and so far I've been able to pump about 2-3 oz from each breast at each sitting. While I was on maternity leave, she was nursing about every 3 hours or so. Sometimes every 2 1/2 hours.
    I'd really like to know if pumping 3x a day is enough, right now I just don't have the time (trying to catch up at work) to pump anymore. And I have about 15-20 mins at each break to pump.
    Thanks for any info.
    Anne
    Ella Grace, 6 mos

Also, a friend told me that there may be better breastpumps out there? I'm pretty happy with the Symphony but please let me know if there are any more efficient ones. Thanks!

Pump 4-5x per day & once during night. Start off pumping for a minimum of 10 minutes & then work your way up from there, really the idea is stimulation at this point. Once your supply is in & maintained, it may not take as long to fully express. Whether it takes you 5 minutes or 30 minutes, make sure your breasts are fully emptied before you stop pumping. It's the stimulation & actual emptying of your breasts that will bring in the supply.

How do we know when we are empty? My lo is 3 weeks and I have been pumping and nursing ... I pump 8-10 min after almost each feeding hoping to build my supply for storage ... Right now only getting 1/2-1oz per pump any advice?

It's really normal to get only 1/2 - 1 ounce per pump at the beginning. I would be cautious about pumping after every feeding at this point, it's easy to get into an oversupply problem early on. When are you going back to work, and how long will you be apart from your baby? You only need 1 - 1.5 ounces per hour apart. So if you're going to be apart for 10 hours, you need 15 ounces max. After that you pump each day for the next day. So if you get 1 ounce per day then in two weeks you have what you need. Pumping once a day after a feed, preferably in the morning when you have the most milk, is usually plenty.