Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reducing the risk of diabetes????

Red face reducing the risk of diabetes????

My daughter is 18 weeks now and recently had her 4 month check up. She was born 6.4 and is 10 now. She nurses every 3 hours for about 5 - 15 minutes total. At night she nurses about every 5 hours. I do demand feeding with her (allow her to tell me when she is hungry and feed her....) so some times she will go 7 hours with out eating..... usually when we are out and about at ball games or stuff like that....

Her doctor would like her to start cereal. We tried rice cereal for 2 days with organic baby formula, but that constipated her, so doctor said to use oatmeal. She would like her to gain additional weight as well as she stated there are new studies showing that babies that wait until 6 months or longer to introduce solids are at higher risk of diabetes later in life.

WE have no history of food allergies and she LOVES her oatmeal! She just began eating it in morning and night. She does not seems to have any issues with constipation and her gas is the same as before she began solids. She laughs and giggles the closer the spoon gets to her mouth and chomps the food down like she is chewing it up or something. She even cries when you take too long to feed her and she will grab your hands and pull the spoon to her mouth. Everything we put in her mouth, she chews and swallows. The only time some leaks out is when she seems to be done and begins spitting it back out when you put it in.

I asked the doctor if I could mix oatmeal with banana's and she told me not to introduce fruit until 6 months. She said to mix with EBM or formula.... I do not have any EBM.... so I have been mixing with Organic formula (the oatmeal is organic as well) She also stated that I could mix with 2 oz white grape mixed with 2 oz water...... During her morning feeding she gets 1.5 oz of formula mixed with oatmeal to make it a bit runny. At night she takes 3 oz of formula mixed with Oatmeal to make it a bit runny. Is this enough? Too much? we used 1.5 at night, but she would scream bloody murder until we gave her more. I mean... hold her breath and turn purple and scream. Even if I try to give her breast..... she wants the Oatmeal. But, she will take breast after she has had 3 oz of oatmeal/formula....

I know everything states not to feed her solids until after 6 months, but we REALLY feel she is ready for this. She is still nursing the same.

Comments????
    Last edited by mamajenn; May 15th, 2006 at 01:22 PM.

Default Re: reducing the risk of diabetes????

Quote Originally Posted by mamajenn
    Her doctor would like her to start cereal. We tried rice cereal for 2 days with organic baby formula, but that constipated her, so doctor said to use oatmeal. She would like her to gain additional weight as well as she stated there are new studies showing that babies that wait until 6 months or longer to introduce solids are at higher risk of diabetes later in life.
    I'm very curious about this since everything I've read says the opposite, that introducing solids will higher the risk of diabetes. Since my husband family have a diabetes history, that was one of my main reasons on waiting to introduce food. In the other hand, your baby is past four months and although the ideal will be six months, she might be able to tolerate them well. So if she like the oatmeal I think it should be OK, just remember that BM should remain her primary source of food, so always offer your breast before offering the solids. I'll do some research on your Dr's statement!

This is what I've found so far:
    Paragraph #2
    http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006...roducing_.html

http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/Sha...lish_notes.doc

Anyway, I'm going to keep looking since like I said, I'm very curious about this!

Could you ask your pediatrician to reference the studies for you? I would be very interested in reading them as well!

Hi. I'm the Moxie that Mami_Kathy linked to in the Ask Moxie post. I'm guessing the study Mamajenn's doctor is referring to is the one about celiac disease and also diabetes. The abstract is here:
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...ct/293/19/2343

It shows a big increase in the incidence of celiac disease among kids who had gluten-containing foods introduced before 4 months, and a small ("marginally") increase in celiac disease for kids introduced to gluten-containing foods at 7 months or later. The authors of the study seem to have concluded that there's kind of a sweet spot for introducing gluten-containing foods. It doesn't surprise me that that spot would be right around 6 months, as 6 months seems to be what kids do when allowed a baby-led approach to feeding:
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

I did find another abstract showing that early (before 3 months) exposure to cow's milk (shouldn't it be cows' milk?) and solid foods increased incidence of IDDM in kids with a genetic predisposition toward diabetes:
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org...tract/42/2/288

It's all fascinating, isn't it? It's going to be exciting to see what we know by the time our children are feeding their babies.

Thank you Moxie! So, this is what I understood, although there's a small increase of the disease if foods are intoduced late, introducing them before the recommended age is more risky than doing it later. I couldn't paraphrase it right, but I did my best! English isn't my native language!