Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green poo, hind milk

Default green poo, hind milk

I posted recently that my LO wasspending a shorter time on the breast than usual. it was suggested that she is being more efficient at the breast.
    However she has been having green poo for the past two days. Today is a little browner. I read that this happens when she is not getting enough hind milk.
    How can i ensure, in her short feeding time that she gets enough hind milk?
    how long does it take for hind milk to flow or follow foremilk?

Default Re: green poo, hind milk

Great question. I look forward to seeing the replies as well.

good question.

I'm block feeding my lo now because his poos have been green for days. I've been block feeding to make sure he gets the hind milk. Maybe try that. I nurse him for two feeds (so I nursed him at 2 on my left and will again at 4 then switch sides for 6pm and 8pm) This morning he had a yellow poo but it turned green again b/c I think when I switched sides last night I was a bit too full from this new set up I have going and he had too much foremilk. Today both sides seem much more soft so *fingers crossed* tonight or tomorrow he'll be on the road to yellow poos! I never had this problem with my daughter, I don't know how we got into this.

I was going to say the same thing as Lmp. Blocking feeding is they way to go... and see if that changes anything.

There was an article (can't remember what site) that explain the difference between fore milk and hind milk and how it's not 2 different milks. It was very help...(if some know what I am talking about please post link)
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

green poo can have other causes than fore/hindmilk imbalance... check thread "green poop question" in the "First time mothers" section!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...