Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    I have a 5week old. I've got a few problems going on with her. First she has a yeast rash on her bum that the dr. just gave me cream for. Yesterday and today she had some blood in her diapers. The dr. asked me if it was in the stools, ok how do you tell that with a bf baby? All the stools are loose and I just see blood in it. He thinks it's a fissure. She is a pretty fussy baby. I wouldn't say colic cause she doesn't scream for hours but she is really fussy. Every stool since birth has been green. A couple days ago she had a couple of watery ones. Basically, everything I read in my nursing book says that all of her symptoms say it's something in my diet. The dr. says no. Well, he's telling me to see if the blood goes away and the rash after a week and if not then try eliminating dairy from my diet. So, her symptoms are green stools, stuffy nose, fussiness, yeast rash on bum, and blood in stools.HOWEVER...she is gaining weight just fine. She was born 10lbs. 3oz. and is already 13lbs. 5oz. So, I just don't know who to listen to the dr. or the nursing books. I feel like the dr. just doesn't know enough about nursing babies. Well, my next problem is that she seems to have a problem with my letdown. But, mostly only on my left breast. Occasionaly on my right but almost always on my left. She pulls off choking and gasping for air and then screams her head off. Then when I try to put her back on she has her mouth wide open looking for it and screaming even though it's in her mouth and she just won't latch back to it. So, it seems that it's coming out too fast but when I take it out it's not spraying. I've tried different holds and leaning back with her on top etc. and it doesn't really help. I pump sometimes once first thing in the morning but other than that I can't because she's always on me. The only way she'll stay sleeping during the day is on top of me. So....sorry so long but any advice is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    This sounds like an oversupply/ overactive let down OALD issue. There is a section entitled Too Much Milk that may give you some insight . Take a look at this link to see if this applies to you http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Last edited by BrooklynMama; August 13th, 2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: sp

    Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    thx, she actually does all of the things that they ask for checking for oald so i guess that's what it is. does anyone have any advice/info for the other problems?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    789

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    If you think it might be dairy, I say cut it out right now. Go with your gut, you know your baby best. Cutting out dairy can be very challenging, but you can do it and you should start seeing results in a few days, but really need to do it for at least two weeks to make sure that is what is going on. There are lots of other moms on here who have had to cut out dairy and much more. Good luck and keep us posted!

    Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09


    Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

    confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    I personally rely on books on the LLL list, kellymom.com, LLL articles and my LLLeader for bfing info. I talk to the dr. about medical issues. I don't know much about allergies, but it does sound like that could be the culprit. Some of the moms in our LLL group have seen huge changes by eliminating foods from their diets. I don't know why you would need to wait for a week before beginning an elimination diet. Looking through the possible signs on this link, it looks like you have several. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html You might also check out the allergy board on this forum.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    Posts
    991

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    The other mamas covered the letdown and allergy issues. My LO would only sleep on me too. He very recently (just this week) started to sleep in his crib for some naps. I found swaddling really helps. Have you tried babywearing? At least your hands will be free and it sounds like your LO will it.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    The dr wanted me to wait a week because he gave me the cream and he said if I started the diet at the same time then we won't know which thing made her better because he doesn't think it's my diet.

    I swaddle her for overnight cause that keeps her sleeping longer. During the day, I'm hoping it will be easier once school starts and my 5yr old won't be here waking her up!

    Thanks for all your responses. I'm gonna try to go to my local bf support group tomorrow and see what the lactation lady there says. I haven't been yet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Swartz Creek, MI
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    Welcome...

    I was lucky to have a female doc that also bf'd her lo.

    Like you doc said, if you stop dairy now, you won't know if it was that or the cream.... I know I can't drink milk or have ice cream...it leaves lo gassy, but all other dairys are ok....

    My lo takes naps on his tummy because it reminds him that he sleeping on me (I guess)....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?

    let us know if you have any ?'s after your meeting.
    what are her nursing patterns like?
    sometimes the green poops can be solved by block feeding.
    that info should be in that over supply link.

    dr sears has some good info on his web site about fussy babies.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

    surf around a his site and see what you can find.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: Dr. vs Nursing Books?



    Quote Originally Posted by Moromou View Post
    I have a 5week old. I've got a few problems going on with her. First she has a yeast rash on her bum that the dr. just gave me cream for. Yesterday and today she had some blood in her diapers. The dr. asked me if it was in the stools, ok how do you tell that with a bf baby? All the stools are loose and I just see blood in it. He thinks it's a fissure.
    If it were a fissure, you'd probably see blood on the baby wipe when you're cleaning up around the rectal area.

    Does the rash look "broken down"? Can you see open areas on her skin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moromou View Post
    She is a pretty fussy baby. I wouldn't say colic cause she doesn't scream for hours but she is really fussy. Every stool since birth has been green. A couple days ago she had a couple of watery ones. Basically, everything I read in my nursing book says that all of her symptoms say it's something in my diet. The dr. says no. Well, he's telling me to see if the blood goes away and the rash after a week and if not then try eliminating dairy from my diet. So, her symptoms are green stools, stuffy nose, fussiness, yeast rash on bum, and blood in stools.
    How do you feel about that?

    Here's a great article about allergies and breastfeeding:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep97p75.html


    Quote Originally Posted by Moromou View Post
    HOWEVER...she is gaining weight just fine. She was born 10lbs. 3oz. and is already 13lbs. 5oz. So, I just don't know who to listen to the dr. or the nursing books. I feel like the dr. just doesn't know enough about nursing babies. Well, my next problem is that she seems to have a problem with my letdown. But, mostly only on my left breast. Occasionaly on my right but almost always on my left. She pulls off choking and gasping for air and then screams her head off. Then when I try to put her back on she has her mouth wide open looking for it and screaming even though it's in her mouth and she just won't latch back to it. So, it seems that it's coming out too fast but when I take it out it's not spraying. I've tried different holds and leaning back with her on top etc. and it doesn't really help. I pump sometimes once first thing in the morning but other than that I can't because she's always on me. The only way she'll stay sleeping during the day is on top of me. So....sorry so long but any advice is appreciated.
    You might find this resource to be helpful:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

    Is there a reason that you are pumping in the a.m. ?

    Can you tell us a bit more about your baby's nursing pattern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moromou View Post
    thx, she actually does all of the things that they ask for checking for oald so i guess that's what it is. does anyone have any advice/info for the other problems?
    The basics are:
    * Use positions that make it easier for baby to control the flow, such as with you leaning back and baby on top of your chest or side lying on the bed
    * When baby starts to gasp and choke, take off the breast and let the let down run into a towel or diaper. Give baby a chance to catch her breath and then try again
    * Block feeding--feed for a block of time from one breast only. Start with 2-3 hours and work your way up until your milk production begins to downregulate. Anytime your baby cues to nurse within this block of time, but her back on the same breast. When time is up, start the process on the second breast. If the breast that isn't being used becomes uncomfortably full, hand express or pump *just enough* for comfort.


    There is more detailed information in the article I posted above. In addition, you might find support from other mothers who are experiencing over production in our "too much milk!" forum found here :
    http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32


    Quote Originally Posted by Moromou View Post
    The dr wanted me to wait a week because he gave me the cream and he said if I started the diet at the same time then we won't know which thing made her better because he doesn't think it's my diet.
    I'm confused by this. Your doctor doesn't think that allergy could be contributing, but he doesn't want you to eliminate any foods so he can see if the cream is what makes your baby better. Is that correct?

    It might help to know that if something in your diet was contributing, it would take more than just a few days to see if things improve with elimination (this is especially so for dairy). Please see the article I linked earlier for more details. That being said, most of the symptoms you listed could be linked to overproduction and will improve with downregulation of your milk production.


    Quote Originally Posted by Moromou View Post
    Thanks for all your responses. I'm gonna try to go to my local bf support group tomorrow and see what the lactation lady there says. I haven't been yet.
    Let us know how it goes!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •