Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Newbie ... please help!

Default Pumping Newbie ... please help!

My LO will be six months old next week. I am a WAHM and have never had a need to pump. This weekend is our anniversary, and I decided that I wanted to try to store enough milk so that I could have a couple of glasses of wine when my dh and I go out to dinner. (Our LO will be going with us as we don't have anyone to sit for us.) Anyway, I bought an Avent Isis and started trying to pump last week. The first couple of times went well compared to what I'm experiencing now -- I got about 2 ounces each time, and I fed it to my LO to see if he would take a bottle. (He had never had one before, so I didn't know.) Anyway, luckily the bottle was no problem for him.

Then I started trying to pump milk to freeze for this weekend. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can only get about a half an ounce at a time -- all foremilk, I'm sure. I don't know if I'm picking the wrong times of day or what. I tried to pump on one side while my LO was nursing on the other, but I can't get the positioning right, and my LO is very curious and stops to watch what I'm doing. I've tried putting hot towels on my breasts to help with letdown, and that helps a little, but I'm just not getting much. I've never had a problem with supply -- and my LO continues to gain weight steadily.

Are there certain times when it's better to pump? I'm willing to get up in the middle of the night to try (as long as it doesn't affect my morning supply for my LO) because I just want to have a couple of feedings worth stored up for this weekend. I'd really appreciate any tips.

Also, if I have two glasses of wine, can I still nurse after a few hours?

And one more: I've been pumping and storing what little I get in bottles in the fridge. Can I add fresh breastmilk to breastmilk that is already cold? I've been chilling each new expression before adding them together, but I was wondering if I needed to do so. When I have enough, I plan on freezing it for this weekend. (I read that breastmilk can be kept in the fridge for only 48 hours, so I'm only keeping it in there for that long before I'll have to either freeze the tiny amount or feed it to LO.)

I'm sorry this is so long. I'm just really confused and am hoping you all have some advice for me. TIA
    Last edited by DanaBeth; August 13th, 2007 at 09:32 AM.

Default Re: Pumping Newbie ... please help!

Pumping and Bottle Feeding
    This has a great page with all storage/use guidelines, and may give you some ideas to help you get a better letdown. Did you try the letdown attachment that comes with the Isis?
    I hope you enjoy your night out and happy anniversary!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I've always been able to pump the most at the first morning nursing, either before or after, I get less and less throught the day. Breastmilk is good in the fridge for up to 10 days (according to LLL and my LC), so you don't really have to freeze it if you're using it this weekend. I do combine mine with previous pumpings, but that means that it is only as good as long as the first pumping is good. You can drink and bf a little. The same amount of alcohol is in your milk as is in your bloodstream, and when it is removed from your blood it is also removed from your milk, it's not like it will stay sitting there. You can nurse first and then drink a couple glasses of wine and nurse again 3hrs later and you'll probably be fine, you don't need to discard the milk, just wait till you know you have no alcohol in your system.

When I was in college I was told one drink (ie one glass of wine/1 beer/1 shot) is metabolized off in about 1hr for a normal person.

Like the pp said it is out of your system rather quickly. From the research I have done it takes 30-60 minutes to leave you milk if you have eaten and 60-90 if you have not eaten. A couple of websites even said if you can drive, you can nurse. You should look it up there is alot out there about this. I have researched this quite a bit and like the pp said it doesn't "sit in your milk", so there is no need to pump it out either. SO enjoy your spouse and go have fun!