Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby scale

Default baby scale

I am looking for a good scale that does not cost an arm and leg to figure out how much milk my 3 week old is getting at his feedings. If anyone knows of a good one please let me know. Thanks

Default Re: baby scale

beter way is to count diapars.
    has your doctor asked you to weigh the baby?
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html

some places that rent pumps also rent good scales.

No dr has not ask to weight but i am wanting to know how much milk he is getting because he does not seem satisfied after his feedings no matter how long or short his feeding are.

how old is baby? I see 3 weeks thats a prime time for a growth spurt.
    how often is baby nursing?
    What are his wet and poops like...
    growth spurts happen and they want to nurse round the clock

anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours if i put him in his bouncey seat he will go about 3 hours. he has plenty of wet and dirty diapers he gave me one a little bit ago that we all had to change clothes.

try not to worry!
    Lots of babies need to eat more often then every 3 hours at that age!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/schedule.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

This does cost a lot, but we got it when I got tired of going to the ped's 3x/week for weigh-ins when dd was first born and not gaining weight. It was less expensive than all those co-pays, and helped me regain my sanity.

Health o Meter HDC100-01 "Grow with Me" Teddy Bear Scale for Babies and Toddlers

I still love it, and we use it every few weeks... DD's 9 mo now... BUT, I think I should've trusted my motherly instincts and told the docs she would be OK. Still consistently on the low end of the weight chart--but that's just how some babies are.

I agree with Andrea... You don't really need a scale. Trust your body, and check those diapers. But if it helps your peace of mind, then do it. If there's a Baby Depot/Burlington Coat Factory near you, they may have a less expensive, non-electric type of scale.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

My husband was really concerned about my dd during the first two weeks so he went to Babies R Us and bought a scale for like $60. We used it once and then returned it once he was satisfied that she was gaining weight! He didn't like the idea of not knowing exactly how much she was eating and just going by the number of poops and pees she had! She is now 12 weeks old and he is much better!

anonymous Guest

our baby scale was our best buy! we could weigh baby the same time, same conditions and then we could KNOW he wasn't loosing weight. It's not as good for how much milk they have had but good to see overall weight gain