Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 days no poop!

Default 2 days no poop!

is it normal?? she use to poop all the time after feedings now she went from one poop a day to 2 days with no poop! it does not bother her cause she had not complaint about it but i am worried!

Default Re: 2 days no poop!

I am assuming your siggy is up to date, and your baby is 2 months old?
    If your baby is EBF, than it is okay I think! As they get older, they do go longer w/o pooping. My sons ped. told me that breast milk is so easily absorbed, so your babys body is absorbing all it needs, leaving little to be excreted. So as your baby gets older and is growing so much, it is taking in all the nutrients and water in the BM so they are going longer between poops (wow what a fun topic huh? )
    So as far as I know, it is okay!! at this age, be on the look out for the big blow outs! those are fun...

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

My daughter pooped regularly in the beginning and then somewhere around 2.5-3 months, she barely ever pooped. She once went 13 days with no poop and the pediattrician was totally fine with it. Her tummy was soft, she was a happy baby, no complaints at all from her. When they are exclusively BF'd there is a wide range...after you get through the initial starting period where they poop all the time.

After they get through the first few days/weeks, it's perfectly normal to go days to weeks between bowel movements.

Colton very quickly went through the pooping-all-the-time phase (in like 2-3 days, really) and then would go 14 days between poops. Like a PP said, the ped was totally OK with it.

I looked back, and the non-pooping phase always corresponded with periods of rapid growth. He was using every last bit of breastmilk to grow, and that left very little to come out the nether end! When the growth slowed down, he developed a new pattern.

Even now, at 9 months, he goes about every 2-3 days.

Most moms say when they do go, watch out! But that's not the case for us.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We had the same problem- Gabe would go without pooping for days and days. It concerned me more than him. He would go up to 9 days without even a stain. The only difference between our situation and pp was that he would have horrible gas at around day 4 or 5 and then would start to become uncomfortable. My ped told me that I could use a thermometer for some relief. At frist I was not comfortable with this but we gave it a try and it worked wonders. BUT watch out because they, and you, can easily become dependant on this. We later switched to a bottle of water with up to one ounce of prune juice in it. The mix was 3-4 ounces of water and 1/2 - 1 ounce of prune juice. This did the trick. He is now almost 8 months and we are off the juice and he is going at least once if not two to three times a day!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."