Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush and yucky poopies

Default Thrush and yucky poopies

On Thursday we went to the pediatrician and found that the thrush that we had thought we had licked is actually still around. So we have started up with the Nystatin once again, but for longer this time. The nurse over the phone last time had told us to use it for 7 days, but the doctor this time around said no, it can take a few weeks, so use it for 2 weeks, or 3 days after we no longer see any white patches. This makes much more sense. Anyway, within a day of restarting the meds, Owen got all stopped up. He was trying to poop all day, and was really fussy and uncomfortable. He was then up all last night (thank goodness it wasn't a work night for DH) still trying to poop. Finally, at 5 am (!!!) he pooped, and it was really thick and dark brown. He felt much better afterwards, and subsequently decided that instead of going back to sleep, he wanted to get up and play.

He was happy all day long, but he still wouldn't nap much (I would have thought he would crash and burn after a day and night of very little sleep). Then at dinner, he pooped again, and it was also thick and mucusy, but it was green this time.

My point, is this a Thrush thing? Has anyone else had this happen to their baby when they had Thrush? Or do you think something else is going on? The doctor's office is closed today, but I saved the green diaper and will be calling them tomorrow to see if I should bring it in for analysis. I've heard that thick green poop can also be a sign of a virus.

The only things that have changed in my diet in the last couple of days is that I have removed orange juice in the morning and replaced it with apple juice because I heard that citrus can cause gassiness (he is a very gassy baby), and I just bought these rice and bean chips (didn't realize there were beans in them until after I bought them). Oh, and I have a chicken cashew salad sandwich from the grocery store. So....apple juice, bean, or cashew allergy? I'm guessing it more likely has something to do with the thrush or the Nystatin though.

Sorry if this has been king of rambley. Remember, I didn't get any sleep last night.

Default Re: Thrush and yucky poopies

I don't remember much from when my daughter was on the nystatin as a newborn but I do know it gave her a tummy ache and she'd cry and cry.

Also, ANY juice I drank gave her gas. Until she was about 10-11 months old, all I could drink was water and milk. I remember one occasion that I had OJ and she got a really bad yeast diaper rash. That was the last time I had OJ until she was over a year old for fear it would happen again.

I'm not much help but try not having any juice at all.

Default Re: Thrush and yucky poopies

Yup - I decided to cut out the juice yesterday.

I talked to the nurse at Owen's pediatrician's office today, and she said that it's probably not related to the thrush but to the fact that we just upped his Zantac dosage and his system is just getting used to it. I hadn't even thought of that. She also said that he is getting to an age where his poops may change a bit. If his poops are formed (these were still gooey) or he goes several days without one, or he starts having lots of discomfort again, she wants me to call back. But yesterday and today, although it is taking some effort to poop, he doesn't seem bothered by it anymore.

Oh yes, and he SLEPT last night! For 5.5 hours straight. He hasn't done that for a month!

Anyway, I feel much better about it all now.