Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Sore spot!

Default Help! Sore spot!

Hey, is anyone out there tonight that can help.....

I think I have a clogged duct. This never happened with the twins, I think they drained me. I have spot on the aureola that is like this size....O It's red, and a little raised and it hurts. I don't have a fever, but I have felt "off" and my body has been sore all day. Of course, I had attributed to holding Anderson all day and night yesterday b/c he has been so attached to me...he's grumping in the bouncy seat right now b/c I'm not holding him.

So, I've pumped that side (when he only nursed on the other side) after using a hot washcloth on it, used a heating pad. I've read he should nurse first on that side....any other tips? Does it sound like a clogged duct?

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

Default Re: Help! Sore spot!

Ouch! It surely could be a clogged duct.

Nurse frequently, gentle massage with downward pressure towards the nipple, nurse on the clogged side first, vary nursing positions, warm compresses before feedings...those are all things you can try.

Here's some info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    And more info (non-LLL resource):
    www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

If the nursing and gentle message isn't helping the plug move, I would suggest trying "dangle feeding". Fair warning that this will sound bizarre (). What you do is put your baby on the floor (or other firm surface). Get into a position where you are on all fours directly above your baby. Then allow your baby to nurse from the affected side while your breast is hanging freely from your ribcage. In this position, there is nothing to block the passage of milk and gravity will assist the flow. This often helps even when nothing else has. So, hold it in the back of your mind and try it if the plug doesn't begin to resolve soon.

Keep us updated and let us know how you're doing!

Okay, it seems smaller today. Have tried warm compresses, pumping (in addition to nursing), heating pad, I "dangled pump" instead of feeding. I also moved the flange around a lot (like varying positions?)
    I've rubbed down, and done the pressing down hard and harder (from kellymom or dr.sear?). It seems much better today. Still sore, but I'm not achy and I still have no fever. I hope it resolves.

Okay---graphic post...sorry in advance

In shower tonight, I massaged down towards the "openings". And it like "popped" our of the side. Does that make sense? Anyway....I kept pushing on it, and more came out...looked like the fatty part of pumped milk. I kept massaging until I saw a drop of blood. Was this the right thing to do? It does feel better...still a tiny bit sore.

mmm sounds like u unclogged it and it's probably sore from the pressure and all... I haven't had one(knock on wood) in the 10mos that I have nursed. Hope it gets better soon