Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing for comfort

Question Nursing for comfort

My 8-month old wants to nurse for comfort each time he sleeps (even his naps during the day and all night-time wakings). Should I allow him to continue doing that? I don't mind doing it, but am wondering if he'll get used to it for too long ! Is there any way I can break the habit without making him cry for too long?
    Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Nursing for comfort

Hi

I personally wouldn't get into bad habits as he'll always expect then when falling to sleep.

The No Cry Sleep Solution has been recommended by many mothers, I personally haven't used it myself, as we used the Baby Wise routine - however our daughter did have a couple of days of tears although she did end up learning how to self settle which was great for us.

Good luck.
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; August 12th, 2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: remove link

Do you mean that your baby wants to nurse to sleep? Or that he's nursing all the time for comfort? I'm a little confused about your question.

I'd say that if your baby wants to nurse to sleep, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just because they do that now, does NOT mean that you're creating bad habits at all. My son nursed to sleep until I weaned him at 14 months. Now, he goes to sleep without any problems, and I don't rock him or anything (he's 22 mos). Whether your baby learns to calm himself at 8 mos without nursing or at 2 years without nursing, you can be assured that he will eventually learn to calm himself. Until then, why make it harder on yourself and your baby?

I guess my point is that there is absolutely no harm in nursing to sleep. It's been done since the beginning of time, and babies are wired to feel comfy-cozy next to their mommies nursing. Take comfort in the fact that you're able to provide that calming force in their life!

My 2 cents...I'm definitely no expert!

F.Y.I. Here's some information about baby falling asleep at breast or bottle written by Elizabeth Pantley (author of the No Cry Sleep Solution).

I do know women that have fed their babies to sleep only to have realised down the track when baby's 6 months that they don't want to continue that road, and then they have to go through teaching their baby to self settle.

Ultimately it is your choice if it something that you're willing to continue or not.
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; August 12th, 2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: remove link

There is absolutely nothing wrong with nursing your baby to sleep. It's not a bad habit. It's natural and normal. Do what feels right to YOU for YOUR baby!

Hi again

I just want to clarify, that I don't think it's WRONG to feed your baby to sleep, I would just prefer not to for my own baby.

Every baby is different as well and has a different temperament and needs to fall alseep the way that they can.

Sorry I think a couple of people may have misunderstood what I have said in previous posts... and obviously feeding to sleep works for some women but not for others.

I agree with Home Executive in doing what feels right for YOU and YOUR BABY, that's the most important thing.

Smile Re: Nursing for comfort

Thanks for your replies. I feel better to know that some of you have done this and your kids grew out of it themselves.