Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby takes both breasts-how to pump?

Default Baby takes both breasts-how to pump?

I haven't started pumping yet but need to start because I'm going back to work soon. I am wondering, my son usually feeds from both breasts in a feeding session lately. That makes it confusing for me as to how and when in any given day I should pump? I have read that some people pump the breast their baby isn't on, but I would be robbing him of milk if I do that because he'll move to that breast after he's finished with the other! Any suggestions? I don't want to only give him hindmilk or only foremilk so I really want to do this right.

Thanks!

Default Re: Baby takes both breasts-how to pump?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpumping.html

heres some links maybe you can find what you need in them.
    how many hours will you be working?
    How old is the baby?
    the womanly art of breastfeeding has some good info about pumping.
    it says its a good idea not to go more than 3-4 hours with out removing milk from your breasts. IF your baby is yonger you will have to pump more.
    Some moms only pump the milk that they baby will need for the next day.
    some moms freeze the extra..
    I'm sure some other moms will chime in with some hints.
    good luck
    andrea

Thanks ! Sorry, i wasn't clear. I'm wondering more about mostly before i go back (like now)how to time my pumping milk. I want to start freezing milk & don't know when to pump or how since he usually takes both breasts?

I always nursed dd during the night on one breast (rightside--easier to get her back into crib from this position). i'd pump the underused breast the next morning before dd was up. this gave me 4-6 oz from the one breast. i did this every day starting 2 months before i went back to work and built-up a great supply. i know there was a greater amount of foremilk in the mix for these early morning pumpings because my breast was so full and the milk was lighter in color than my afternoon pumpings. however--i saw this milk as emergency stock only, and even with the imbalance, breast milk was better than formula.

this worked for us. dd is almost 10 months and i have been pumping for 9 months now. unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) i have had to throw out much of the stocked milk because i never needed to tapped into it--i was always able to pump enough for the next day.

Nods. Pumping in the morning is a great way to get "extra" milk.