Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Let sleeping babies lie?

Default Let sleeping babies lie?

My son is 11 days old. He sleeps alot, approx 3hrs straight until I wake him up to feed. He's getting enough because his diapers have been consistent (wet/dirty)and he is gaining weight. My question is this: Should I just let sleep until he wakes up to feed? And if so what do I about my breast which become engorged if he doesn't feed? Should I pump? At night it seems that if I don't wake him up to feed he may sleep about 4-5 hours. It seems that the demand from him and the supply from me hasn't quite matched up yet.

Default Re: Let sleeping babies lie?

My lo is just a month today and I just started not waking him. If I didn't I would be in pain... So I woke him ever 2 -3 hrs. Maybe 4 at night, but no longer...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I never liked the idea of waking up my lo to nurse him. I usually just pump if I feel pain and then nurse him once he is ready to nurse.

Our schedule (take that term loosely!) was every two hours starting at 8am-10pm...then a 3 hour sleep to 1am and a 4 hour sleep to 5am and another 3 hour back to 8am.

What that really means is 8 day feedings and 2 night feedings. I've been told that 8-12 feedings is optimal. And as long as the baby doesn't sleep 4-5 hours between all feeds, I think the occasional longer sleep is ok.

As for engorgement, eventually the baby will sleep long stretches 5-8 hours is our current maximum and your body eventually learns.

Just my $0.02.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

How much does you LO weigh?

My daughter was on the larger size but I still awakened her in the first week every 2 hours. Then I took the lead from her. At 6 weeks, once she reached 12 lbs., she started sleeping in longer chunks. Now she sleeps 7-10 hours/night.

I am telling you this just in case you are worried that if you wake your LO now this will make sleeping longer later on impossible. In our case it definitely didn't. Once she was healthy enough to do so, I let her lead the way.

Good luck!

My pediatrician told me that once my dd got back up to her birth weight (was 6.9 at birth and dropped down to 6.3), then it was okay to let her sleep longer during the night. Before that point though I was told to not let her go more than 3 hours without eating. Once she started sleeping longer at night, she eats more frequently during the day to make up for it.

Yep, was pp said. If your LO has reached birth weight again and is having a good diaper output, gaining well, and seems satisfied, then enjoy the extra rest, mama!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?