Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 100% pumping???

Default 100% pumping???

My lo is 9 months old and is no longer interested in bfing. I work full time and pump during the day. I used to nurse when I got home, but she hasn't nursed in a week. She pushes away and cries. She will still take the milk in a bottle, though. So, I pump 100% of the time now. I am extremely discouraged and am wondering if she is weaning herself. I bf our first child for a year and wanted to do so with this one, too, but even my supply is low. I am increasing my pumping sessions and that helps to cover the amount she drinks. I feel like I'm tied to my pump and even though I know I can't take it personally, I feel pretty rejected. HELP!!!! I will take any advice anyone can give.

Default Re: 100% pumping???

I am so sorry, no advice, just wanted to support you! I had to exclusively pump for my dd, and I so remember the feeling of being attached to it. Every time I pumped I wished I was holder her close instead. So sorry mama!

Oh, thank you, Nicole....someone who understands. My heart is just broken. I have nowhere to turn but here and I wish something could be done. I just don't want to end it this way. I miss her so much. I miss the bonding that we got to share. I know I still can hold her, but at 9 months she's on the go so much with crawling that it isn't very often.

I want her to have breastmilk for her first year like her sister, but this is soooo hard and heart-breaking. My parents say that I should just switch to formula, that "I've done enough." *sigh*

Sounds like your baby might going through a nursing strike. There is definitely a chance that your baby will nurse again. Here's some helpful information that contains the reasons why strikes might happen, and what you can do to help your baby come back to the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec92p173.html

HTH! Please keep us updated!

My lo didn't nurse fir five weeks; I nearly gave up and switched to formula...the pumping was so difficult and time consuming. And every time I tried to breastfeed him, he'd scream, cry, pull away and generally act as though I was doing something horrible to him. Intellectually I knew it wasn't personal, but emotionally, it was really rough. I kept at it, though. I'd try to nurse him before feeds. A lactation consultant suggested that I not tilt the bottle all the way, rather hold it parallel to the floor, in order to have the flow from the bottle more closely mimic how it would be from me. At the very end of his strike (but of course I didn't know it was the end at the time) I took three days where I just put him on my lap when he was still napping and basically waited for him to wake and be hungry...I had all my "tools" prepared. About an ounce of expressed breast milk in a bottle to take the edge off if necessary, a nipple shield, water for me, the hair dryer for white noise, soothing music on the stereo (for me) and, well, a small glass of beer for me (it was pretty stressful and I felt that if I was stressed out, he'd pick up on that). And for three days in a row, I just really concentrated on working on enticing him to the breast. He'd often latch a bit, then let go and demand a bottle, but on the last day, he latched and tat was it.

So, I don't know if this helps, but perseverance really did pay off (and I totally had given up hope that it would...I just didn't think it was possible for him to return to the breast after so much time, and he did).

Is there anyway you can take a few days off work adjacent to a weekend and spend several days exclusively breastfeeding? This might really help. Anyway, hang in there. I know someone whose baby didn't nurse for four months and eventually got it...doubt I'd have lasted that long, but it demonstrates that persistence works. Keep trying to nurse him.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I am going to keep trying and will keep you posted. It's nice to hear an opinion other than to just give up.