Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help!!

Default Please Help!!

This is my first child, but was not expecting this. My little one will not stop need to bf. She is just one week old today and this has been going on for 3 days now. She will feed for about 10-15 mins and then fall asleep. I'll put her down to sleep and 10 mins later she's crying to be fed again. I've tried taking her off, waking her up and then letting her feed again. I got her to eat for about 1/2 hour that time, but again when I put her down thinking she would sleep, she woke up 10 mins later. I've also tried supplimenting her with soy milk, but she won't really eat it. I did have a c-section, so I'm not sure if that had any effect on me not producing enough milk for her. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do, or that I'm not doing right. I really need to get some sleep.

Default Re: Please Help!!

I hear you mama! That's tiring and frustrating.

The soy milk is a big no. It's not milk at all. Just rice flour, water and sugar. Not at all the right stuff for the babies. (I am hoping you meant soy-based formula.)

Stripping her down to her diaper, wiggling her toes, puffing in her face can help keep her awake to eat.

To help with the crying, I strongly suggest getting a sling carrier. She can sleep and nurse while being held and you have hands-free!

And for getting some rest, have you tried nursing lying down?

Hang in there! It gets better! The best way to keep your milk supply up is to not supplement and feed frequently.

My lo use to wake soon asI would lay him down. Try swaddling her...babys at that age just want to be close to mom, they don't know they aren't attached...(so i was told)
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by junebaby211982 View Post
    She is just one week old today and this has been going on for 3 days now. She will feed for about 10-15 mins and then fall asleep. I'll put her down to sleep and 10 mins later she's crying to be fed again. I did have a c-section, so I'm not sure if that had any effect on me not producing enough milk for her. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do, or that I'm not doing right. I really need to get some sleep.
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    It can be really hard when you get no sleep. I understand

How many wet diapers a day is your baby having? You can tell how much milk is getting into your baby by diaper counting. A well hydrated baby will have a minimum of around 5-6 wet diapers.
    Are you co sleeping or have you considered it yet?
    What sort of activity have you tried already, to wake up baby?
    Have you tried breast compressions when baby is nursing? You gently squeeze breast when baby sucks, then stop when baby stops. That way you don't choke baby with milk. A compression can help get more milk in baby's tummy in less time.
    oops bb crying gotta go...
    Last edited by carpentergirl; August 12th, 2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: really bad spelling

Sounds very within the range of normal newborn nursing pattern mama. I remeber about 1.5-2 weeks where I did nothing but camp out on the couch and nurse because thats all baby wanted to do those early days!

I would assume you're supplementing because you're worried she's not getting enough...Checking babys diaper output is a great sign to know she's getting enough. Here's a nice page with some helpful info. Supplementing this early in the game could sabatoge your supply so you may want to consider holding off on that.

Some moms find it helpful to laydown with baby during their sleepy times to help catch up on those much needed zzz's

good luck !!!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted.

Oh - can you get to an LLL meeting or call a leader? Links to one near you are below in my signature - they may be able to help you with more in person assitance

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Those first few newborn days (3-9 days in my experience) SUCKED!!! I had a very similar time as you are having now. He nursed all the time. Fall asleep, then put down, wake, nurse again. I swear I felt like a cow for those days and when he had his growth spurt at 6 weeks and 3 months. It's so very hard. It's very normal and I wouldn't supplement. That frequent nursing is going to help you build a terrific supply and allow your baby to gain the weight they need.

They way I dealt with it was by realizing that's my cue to slow down, bond with my baby, and relax. It gets pretty crazy once they're mobile. Enjoy this down time as much as you can. Try practicing laying down to nurse so you can get some rest while she's nursing. Alternatively, I did try to keep him awake which worked some times, by taking off his socks, onesie, whatever, tickling his feet, blowing in his face, whatever woke him up so he'd nurse more.

Good luck. I promise it gets much easier.

Thank you everyone for giving me some ideas and letting me know that this is a very normal thing. I was getting very concerned. Thanks again!!

Hi junebaby211982

Congratulations on your DD!

Just be wary of their growth spurts, sounds like your little one is going through her first growth spurt.

Some mothers aren't aware of them early on if they haven't been told, they can quite easily throw any routine out when they go through a growth spurt, and can last from a couple of days up to a week and sometimes even longer.
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; August 12th, 2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: remove link

I can't say much more than what's already been said, other than hang in there! I remember those days, and we still have them sometimes. They're tough. Just put your feet up and relax and enjoy your LO during those quiet moments.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?