Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latching Problem

Default Latching Problem

Hi everyone

I have a two week old newborn and struggling with breastfeeding. She had no problems latching on until last week Monday after my LC appointment. Now it seems as if she's too lazy to open wide enough for the breast (or so it seem). I'm at my wit's ends but i'm trying hard to continue breastfeeding. I'm not sure if my nipples are now the problem because she latches better on the right breast than the left, but this is still after numerous attempts. I'm so worried that she'll just get frustrated and refuse the breast totally.

Is this normal? Has anyone been through this? What can i do to make things better? I was hoping to introduce the bottle before I go back to work but this is probably a set back .

Default Re: Latching Problem

My lo is 4w and I am still having issues. The things that were told to me are:
    1. Aim the nipple between the top lip and the nose.
    2. pump the nipple to express a little milk to get lo aroused
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I had the exact same problem. My son is now 7 weeks old and still latches better on the right side.
    First, I'll say this: do not give up. My advice is to continue breastfeeding and meet with a lactation consultant, just so she/he can take a look at the latch.
    A few things I tried:
    *once he was latched on, I pushed down gently on his chin so that he would open a little wider.
    *make sure you're comfortable and relaxed, and make sure he's positioned correctly.

After a month of pain, I met with a cranial sacral therapist. She was able to detect that his tongue sits pretty far back in his throat, making it difficult to get a good latch. Each day I have been working to get his tongue forward by massaging his jaw (rubbing in a circular motion near his ears to promote a forward/back motion instead of up/down), placing my fingers on either side of his windpipe (which encourages his tongue to pull forward) and placing my finger inside his mouth, following toward the back of his mouth along his gumline, then placing my finger under his tongue and then I pull forward (which encourages his tongue to loosen and pull foward).

If your pain persists, I would suggest meeting with a cranial sacral therapist---it's pretty inexpensive, and definitely worth it.

Breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for your little one---don't give it up.

I know it's hard----

Thank you both. Nice to know i'm not the only one going through this.

Juliana99, I think her tongue is Ok. She stick it out quite alot and her tongue seem to be in the right latching position. I'm not sure what happens when I try to put her on the boob. Maybe it really is me thats the problem although I was doing fine before and during my LC appointment.

Babygurl, thank you. I tried number 1 and it helped lessen the number of tries.

We seem to be doing a little better now but it still takes quite a few attempts. I have been pulling on my nipples before putting it in her mouth. I think having them pressed against my breast pads made them shorter.

Haley nursed much better on the right side for almost 6 weeks. Then, suddenly, she got the hang of it on the left side as well. My LC said this is common and that it might have to do with how babies are positioned in utero or other things like that. Just keep practicing. It takes time!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I just wanted you to know that I am going thru the same thing right now with my 8 week old. We had such problems in the beginning and now he won't open his mouth wide enough at all. all of the issues with his latch and not opening wide enough has caused my milk supply to be so low and he falls asleep very quickly after starting to nurse. I'm sure its just a terrible cycle. I'm trying hard to stick with it tho as you are.
    Big Hugs and Support!