Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thyroid

Default thyroid

anyone ever deal with a thyroid issue post partum?? it might be something i am dealing with, i go for blood work in the next few days to check for that. this may help with why christian isn't gaining weight, BUT would the meds i need to take be ok while nursing. the DR said something about weaning and i almost puked, NO WAY! not happening buddy.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

Default Re: thyroid

I've had an underactive thyroid for years that I take Levoxyl (they also have a non-generic called Synthroid) for every day. I looked through the breastfeeding pharmacology & talked to the pediatrician, my doc, and lactation consultant about it in advance. These drugs are totally fine to take while nursing, and in a case where it's underactive, like mine, you probably need to take them to keep your metabolism functioning properly enough to produce milk.

FWIW, my sister-in-law also had her thyroid become underactive while she was pregnant for the 3rd time. Apparently it's fairly common. Her dr. said many people go back to normal after giving birth, but hers is still underactive.

Anyway, if your thyroid problem is that it's underactive, I personally wouldn't worry about taking the medication. Good luck!!!

I also have hypothyroidism and asked my endocrinologist if it was safe to breastfeed while on the Synthroid and he said yes.

If your doctor won't work with you to find a treatment compatible with breastfeeding, find another doctor. Or you might try doing your own research and sharing it with him first; I have often had to educate health professionals about the importance and safety of continuing to breastfeed while receiving treatment. Good luck.

In the book "Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition" by Marilyn M. Shannon She states that the B vitamins, C & E aid thyroid function. Also A, zinc, and selenium. Essential Fatty acids like flax oil, safflower oil and other salad oil stimulate all glands. and adding iodized salt to your diet or kelp tablets with the caution of 1,000 mcg max. ALl this of course if you want to try a more natural methods before resorting to chemical...

Good Luck

Thumbs up Re: thyroid

I found this today in one of my emails and thought I would pass it along.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/hormonep...ester.htm?nl=1

Normal TSH Ranges During Each Trimester of Pregnancy
    Thyroid disorders -- both overt, and sublinical/borderline -- are associated with pregnancy complications and both short- and long-term health implications for both mother and child. Now, researchers have just published the normal ranges for TSH during each trimester of pregnancy. If you are pregnant, or thinking about having a baby, this is essential information you need.

Question Re: thyroid

Hi! I was wondering, what kinds of symptoms are there if you're having a thyroid problem? Could a problem, undiagnosed, cause a large baby? Many in my family have thyroid problems...

Thanks!