Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avent bottle

Default avent bottle

Anyone has this problem before? I'm trying to get my LO drinking some EBM for occasional times but she yield and refuse it. My mother tried instead of me without success and she thinks the nipple might not be the good one to use. I'm using the Avent grade 1. What would be your suggestions?
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

Default Re: avent bottle

The Avent was the only one I could get my LO to take! We tried several others, including Playtex nursers. I have heard lots of BF babies like the Dr. Brown's. For us, we just had to try each a few times, adn Avent eventually won out!

On the occassion when we do use a bottle, Avent is what my LO prefers. We also do Soothie from time to time (because I bought 2 to try). A friend who BF 3 children beyond 12 months did say that she never switched her babies from a stage 1 nipple because it is most like the flow from the breast. BF babies have to work so hard at getting the milk from us, so by changing to a faster flow nipple, she was afraid that her children would get frustrated when they where on the breast. Or, they would reject her knowing it was easier to get the milk from the bottle. I have say that she has a great point.

DS1 would ONLY take the Playtex nurser with the "natural latch" nipple (slow flow). I have only tried one time with DS2 and he did not have any probs...HTH!!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

We started at 5 weeks with an Avent nipple and used the 1 flow with no problems. We switched to the 2 after only about a month, and that is what we stuck with. It might be the nipple, and you might have luck with another, or she might just be extra resistant to a bottle. Not that she won't ever take one, but some are pickier than others! HTH

I have every bottle made. DD2 wouldn't take any. DD3 changes between Avent #1 nipple and Dr. Brown (wide bottles) w/ #1 nipple with no problems. I started her around 4 weeks knowing I would have to go back to work and didn't want the problems we had w/ dd2. Good luck

thanks for your suggestions. As of now, DD took 2 oz with a cheap gerber one but she only took it as a snack, not as a real feeding. I still have to try with the playtex one that I just bought yesterday. I,ll keep you posted
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

I personally use the Playtex Nursers....the older soft plastic version, with the wide natural latch nipples, slow flow work best for us with EBM.

I do not mean to "stir things up", but this link is why I do not use hard plastic bottles, whether Avent, Dr. Browns, Evenflo, or Playtex hard plastic...

http://www.newbornfree.com/Default.aspx?pid=3417
    Last edited by RooS MummY; August 12th, 2007 at 04:20 PM.

I couldn't get my daughter to take any of the "natural" shaped ones, only the orthodontic shaped nipples. I'm aware of the issues with hard plastics, but its the only thing she'll take, and even with that, sometimes its a challenge.

My LO didn't care much for the Avent- even the stage 1 nipples tend to "drip" too much when she wasn't sucking (just turning the bottle over caused it leak out the nipple). I've decided that I'll just keep trying different bottles (she is going through a bit of bottle resistance right now... I guess I should be happy that she likes the "real deal" much better!!!)