Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made it... but a few more questions

Default I made it... but a few more questions

well as you can see in my signature, I wanted to bf for at least a month. and tomorrow marks one month!

I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I want to continue... I am praying that pumping at work will go ok...

Here are my questions..
    1. this is kind of silly but when is a baby considered an infant and not a newborn

2. I am still having problems with his latch. Once he latches it fine, but getting him to latch is a struggle sometimes...he won't open his mouth wide enough. I have "prime" the nipple, rubbed nipple on top lip...but nothing. The best way to get him to latch is to lean over him (kinda strange to describe!). Is there something else I can try.

3. I am starting to lose my appetiate. Is this normal? How will this effect my supply. I still drink water like crazy though...

4. How should my let downs feel. All of asudden they i can feel them coming the middle of my chest. Like a mixture of heart burn and chest pain. Then it moves to my breast and down my right arm....

Ok that's all for now..
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: I made it... but a few more questions

Anyone there...

I'm here! Congrats on the one month!

Don't really know the "right" answers to your questions. I'll share my thoughts tho...

I, personally, am still starving....but maybe I'm just trying to justify my Ben & Jerry's addiction!

My let downs are really really strong this time, almost painful! I think everyone's body is different...my LC at the hospital (we got close during my stay, saw her at least twice a day) told me that many ladies don't ever feel them!

Okay....here's my little thing I do with LO...Have you ever read the study where they talk about doctors/residents passing a newborn around? One sticks their tongue out at newborn, and apparently newborn "remembers" which one? Maybe urban legend, I don't know. Anyway....I started saying "Open really big....Ahhhhh" and showing Anderson open big with my mouth. He now mirrors what I'm doing....and I stick it in! If you try it, let me know if it works.

Good luck....keep going, it only gets easier! Plus, even if you only provide 50% after you go back to work....it's still worth it!

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

Over here!

At about 1 mo, my son was doing the same - not opening his mouth enough. I took advantage of the rooting reflex and teased him into opening his mouth. He has had good deep latched since.

I don't feel let-downs. It makes me nervous.

Well my appetite doesn't exist and it does affect my milk supply. I get Slimfast shakes to get a healthy 220 cals in and vitamins too. They're not really appetizing... it helps if they are ice cold and you browse this forum while drinking it. Mixing an instant breakfast (but not carnation brand - there's a boycott - anyone have the link?) into ice cream is a reasonalby healthy and tasty snack when you're trying to get more food in your belly.

Newborn seems to be birth to 2 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post

What do you mean?Sometimes it feels like an anxiety attack....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vanne

What do you mean?Sometimes it feels like an anxiety attack....
    Maybe it is? j/k

When I had thrush I felt a pain which apparently was let-down? Followed by a strange feeling that I can only describe as a teeny pipe cleaner going through a milk duct. Strange, but not painful. Burning in a cleansing way? I can't describe it.

Since recovering from thrush, I haven't felt any let-down or anything at all for that matter. I'm not sure if I'm having any at all actually. I had them before thrush but I also had extra milk. I have had lower milk supply since. Just back to (almost) exclusively bfing in the last week.

Anyhow You're doing a fantastic job! I hope it gets easier for you.

my letdown is quite tingly and I guess maybe a little painful, but only for a minute. I feel it in my whole chest too. Sometimes I wonder if it is because my breasts are so small, but I really have no idea. I do think it is true though, that some people feel it and others dont.

I just want to say regarding the appetite loss, is to keep an eye on it. Have a sandwich at lunch even if your not hungry,or have some veggies handy to munch on. I have let my appetite loss get out of control, and I have lost too much weight (i'm down to 107, and was about 120 pre-preg 176 at birth) I am trying now to get my weight back up, because it seems to be affecting my supply. I eat breakfast every day, I try to eat an avocado a day (or at least a half of one) because that is good fat too eat. I force myself to eat lunch, and then I snack on random things until dinner, where my DH usually grills some sort of meat, and we always have veggies and something else to eat. Its hard, but I think I am getting my strength back!
    So I guess I am saying that I think the loss of appetite is normal. I know a few moms who have felt that way. but just be careful to not let it get to bad where it affects your supply. It's good that you drink lots of water too!

and I'm not really sure on the newborn/infant question, I guess I never knew the answer to that one

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks heather...

It is just strange, because I was eating like CRAZY...now I could care less about eating....

I wsh I had that problem, I'm always starving! Wanna trade?

Congrats on making it one month!!!!

The neonatal period is considered the first month. It was my experience that the first six weeks were the hardest. My LO's latch has continued to improve, so it might just take your LO a little more time to get it right. Just be sure he is latched on well each time, so that you don't get sore. As far as appetite.... I'm always hungry, but I think I just like to eat! I have never felt a let down, so I can't help with that.

Keep up the great work!
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.