Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thawing

Default Thawing

As you have read in my previous threads i am going for a short break YIPEE. Anyway I have started pumping and freezing in Lansinoh bags. My question is I will be taking these bags with me in a bag filled with ice. the possibility is that the milk will thaw a bit during the journey what should i do? Should i put in freezer again or should I thaw completely put in bottles and refrigerate? I will be going for three days so it is not a big deal. How long can i keep the milk for in the refrigerator (after it is thawed)? TIA
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Default Re: Thawing

I think once it has thawed, you're supposed to use it within 24 hours, and you're not supposed to re-freeze milk that has thawed.

Here's a LLL link with some storage info:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html
    (scroll to the bottom for times)
    and Dr. Sears has a chart here:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T026900.asp#T026901

Hope your little break is fun!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

Default Re: Thawing

I am in the same situation, traveling with BM on an airplane in Sept. then using it during the weekend. It will probably thaw just a little on the plane but I'm just going to put tons of ice in the cooler and stick it in the freezer when I get to my hotel. I'm not going to worry if it thaws just a bit during travel, there's nothing I can do about it anyways.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09