Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gradual introduction of solids?

Default Gradual introduction of solids?

My little girl is now 9 1/2 months old. After a real battle during the first 6 months of breastfeeding (I had chronic oversupply resulting in my little one being really colicy and not enjoying feeding at all, often screaming during feeds and refusing the breast) we've been really enjoying the last 3 1/2 months. Everything really seems to have settled down - feeds are no longer a battle and quite nice!

I've been exclusively breastfeeding as until last week bubs was refusing solids. She's still been putting on weight - if only 1-2 ounzes a week - but has been waking every hour during the evening crying for months now and has never slept through - she sometimes has me up 3 or 4 or even 5 times a night, although I only usually feed her once or twice between when I go to bed and the morning.

Anyway, over the last couple of days she suddenly seems really into the solids and I've been giving her 3 meals a day. She just isn't interested in single veggie purees but I've been making my own concotions mixing them with potatoes, cheesy sauce, fish, pulses, etc and she seems to be yumming them up. I reckon she has about the equivalent of 1/2 one of the bought pots of food at a sitting, maybe with a little tub of fromage frais afterwards or some fruit.

My worry is that although she's obviously ready for solids now and enjoying it, I should be taking things a bit slower and building up gradually? We seem to have gone from nought to sixty in less than a week! She's still having 5 or 6 bfeeds a day although not feeding for quite as long perhaps and I'm feeling very full? I've been offering the solids between bfeeds, rather than before or straight after her milk. She is suddenly sleeping loads better (rather than waking 4 or 5 times a night it's only once or twice now) and still has plenty of wet nappies.

Am I worrying over nothing?!

Any advice gladly received!
    Last edited by LEMPENN; May 15th, 2006 at 11:08 AM.

Default Re: Gradual introduction of solids?

I sounds to me like things are going fine. If you want to make sure not to go too fast, you could offer the solids a little closer to the time she nurses so she's not as hungry or just limit the amount you offer. If she's happy, not showing any signs of food allergy, peeing and pooping fine--she's probably fine. She can still get pretty much breastmilk in six nursings.