Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: grrrrr

Default grrrrr

I am frustrated! what does everyone else think- I waited until my ds was 6 mos to start cereal, and it has seemed like the two headed monster to me, I believe all you hear about the benes of waiting, but I feel so much pressure. Next thing we'll hear you shouldn't feed cereal until they're 1 yr or later. So now I almost feel guilty for starting cereal, because it's made to look like the devil. now I just read that you should wait 7 months, then they have less chance of anemia and have better iron stores. well, whatever! He seems to love it and can't get enough! A few questions, how much does your milk supply go down when feeding cereal, and how do you avoid constipation for baby? also, when did you start other types of cereals?

Default Re: grrrrr

why would you look like the devil? Sounds like you waited until 6 mos so that's good! Your milk supply shouldn't drop when you start solids b/c they are not to replace your nursings, - give the solids after you nurse. They shouldn't be a major part of your DC's calories in the first year, just for experimentation. If you find that he is nursing alot less, you may want to pull back on the solids and nurse more.

We started some cereal but did more veggies instead. Try to introduce something new once or twice a week & see what he thinks. Wait a couple of days for any reaction. You don't necessarily have to do cereals either - try other things. My DD hates everything exc. sweet potatoes so I give her those every couple of days so she doesn't turn orange. We do solids, one sometimes twice a day & sometimes if we forget its not a big deal.

Avoiding constipation? Not sure but I've heard mix some prunes in with whatever you give them for better pooping. Avoid cereal or bananas. Is he really constipated or just not pooping. DD goes once every other day now but its not hard or pellet like so she's not constipated.

Default Re: grrrrr

My dd didn't have a bm for over a week when we started cereal. So since the 4 day rule was up for starting a new food, we decided to add in baby food. It did the trick! We chose peas because they were high in fiber. I think peaches, pears, prunes, apricots, plums, peas, and spinach are all high in fiber. Now we alternate cereal and baby food...it seems to work well to avoid constipation. HTH!