Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insane hunger and dizziness

Smile Insane hunger and dizziness

i might be posting this in the wrong section-- if so, please forgive, i'm new here! anyways, my son just turned a year, and he just this week started eating more solids. for his first year he mostly was at the breast, with maybe a couple of jars of sweet potatoes a week or so when daddy was taking care of him. i've started feeding him more solids because he's more interested. even with more non-breast feedings, i can't shake this dizzy feeling. i thought that if he nursed less, i'd feel better. in my breastfeeding career i've constantly been hungry, which i know is normal. i eat when i can, but i think as all moms know, it's hard to find time to stuff your face!
    so, is this normal? i'm pretty thin now, but always have been. i'm still about 5 lbs over my pre-baby weight, but i think that's sticking around until i'm done nursing. i should also mention that i eat a pretty healthy diet-- lots of fresh veggies, mindful of protein and iron-- i'm almost vegan but eat eggs for protein. any help is appreciated!
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Default Re: Insane hunger and dizziness

My dd just turned one to and I have been getting that feeling on and off to!
    And for the last week an a half I think at times she has been nursing more than normal..
    I haven't felt like that much I just figure I need to start eating more.
    Looking forward to reading all the answers that may help us.

Are you drinking enough fluids? I can get dizzy if I haven't had enough water. Gatorade can also help. Try drinking a big glass of water right before bf as well, or during bf to make sure you are replenishing the fluids. This is important all the time but especially as it is a lot hotter outside.

I always thought I was but I am thirsty a lot..
    I will try that. Lately it's been in the 90's here.
    I guess i will try drinking more.

Thank you

I felt like this when I first began nursing, but it went away when I increased my iron intake (I've been on supplements for years for iron-deficient anemia). Could be worth mentioning to your Dr. Maybe they could test you for it, along with testing your thyroid to rule those out. GL!

i really need to remember to take my vitamin!
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months

I have been looking up information on something similar. Apparently the change in hormones when baby nurses less can mess with you. I've read that it makes some women eat more, get dizzy and even get the old PMS symptoms back in extra bad form! My DD has just started eating more solids, and I was surprised that I suddenly felt crampy, dizzy and really, really depressed. I even thought I was pregnant, but I "failed" the tests. Maybe this helps?

oh wow, that's fascinating. i have been feeling pretty cranky recently, for no real reason!
    Jean

ps- i also thought i might be pregnant, and failed the test.
    Jean

I read the info on the Berkeley Parents Network, under weaning and depression. I didn't fully wean my DD, but apparently the change with more solids was enough to trigger a reaction. Another friend told me her friend always got her period back at seven months post-partum because that's when solids were introduced at all. She has had eight children!!

I guess she didn't fail the test!!!