Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First post - Topfree forever?

Question Nipples turn white

Hi all,

Background:
    Been exclusively BF'ing my first child for 4.5 wks so far. Rough beginning and still a bit sore, but things are getting much better. Started out with just rawness, cracking, etc. but got through it. We've had some issues with overactive letdown/chomping, but that's also getting better. Possibly a bit of yeast? Since using Newman's All-Purpose Nipple Ointment, things have gotten better and better. Quite optimistic at this point...

So!!
    Question: Though most of the soreness is gone, I still find my nipples blanch in places and hurt wherever they touch fabric for any length of time. In the house, I cope by going bra-less with a light shirt or no shirt. But once the BF is well-established, I'll be wanting to go out occasionally; not sure how I'll manage since it hurts to be dressed!! Will this take care of itself eventually? I don't think I really have Raynaud's or vasospasm since the pain is pretty minor. I gather it's not nearly as severe as the real thing. Just annoying. The whiteness fades when I take the bra or shirt away from my skin. Does this just come with the territory??

Thanks! Reading these threads has already answered a lot of my questions.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jill57; May 14th, 2006 at 04:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Default Re: First post - Topfree forever?

No worries! I was super sore and very sensitive for a few weeks after starting bfing DS. But it did pass finally, and have had very little problems since. The only thing that gave me trouble was an ill fitting bra when he was about 6 months old. It does get much better. But for now just use your cream, go topless when you can, and find a good supportive bra that is not too binding for when needed. And good for you on the exclusing bf! You will def see the rewards there!!!

Hmmm...sounds like *something* is going on for your nipples to blanch when touching fabric. Did you experience a lot of nipple trauma (you mentioned cracking and baby chomping)?

Thanks for the encouragement!

In response to the questions, in the first week to 10 days after birth I had fairly icky scabbing and skin being raw and tearing off (despite having constant help with the latch), but that hasn't been a problem for awhile.
    Since using the cream, both nipples look less pink and quite healthy overall. Baby does chomp occasionally (a lactation consultant suggested OALD), esp. on the left (which does give me the most trouble with the blanching). In his case, this means clenching the nipple once for every 10 or more proper sucks. I usually de-latch him when he does this, but sometimes he corrects the latch himself on the very next suck before I get a chance to remove him. It does seem to be related to coping with the flow.

If OALD is at the root of this, does that problem sort itself out or is there something I should be doing? I tried block feeding but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Keeping him on one side (esp. the left) for a long period just ends up frustrating him after a couple of hours. Seems the breast is empty and he's hungry again, so I tend to throw the clock out and switch to the other side. I've had trouble finding info about this (may be just lack of time). Any ideas are most welcome!

Thanks!

gotta be brief w/ds on my shoulder, but 2 things that helped us were the LLL FAQ page on oversupply, and I found Newman's pages on thrush on kellymom.com by searching there for "thrush," but they might be here on LLL, I don't know. I'm so sorry I don't have them saved to give the links.

We had both OALD and thrush. For OALD, Side-lying position helped ds, and waiting for milk to stop spraying if he came unlatched, but if yours isn't getting enough w/block nursing, you may want to read FAQ page and talk to a LLL leader or IBCLC to be sure whether it really is OALD or not. For thrush, we did have to treat ds. with my older dd, we just passed it back and forth everytime the doc treated only one, even if only one showed symptoms, still needed to treat both together to get over it for good. Have you had antibiotics (esp. IV kind in delivery) or lots of leakage (prolonged wetness)? Both are conducive to getting thrush.

I had the same issues for the first couple of months or so, I don't think we had any issues with thrush, latch, etc. I had the same thing with all three BF children. It got better around 2 months for me, now not an issue (4 month old). We have had thrush, so I know the difference in myself anyway.

Red face Re: First post - Topfree forever?

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. It occurs to me now that a fast letdown may not necessarily mean there's an oversupply issue? Anyway, he's nursing so much these days, I'm just alternating and the letdown/clenching seems to be taking care of itself. And it seems when there's less clenching, later on there's less blanching, so that might be the light at the end of the tunnel I'm seeing!!! I hope this means I'll be following in your footsteps shortly, momgcc. Cheers!