Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD - Never stop spraying - Help!

Default OALD - Never stop spraying - Help!

I'm coming out of a month long nursing strike with my 13 week-old. I know I have OALD--my LO pulls off and screams after being on for a couple of minutes when I can feel my let-down. So when I hand express, milk shoots out in about 7 or 8 jet streams in all direction all across the room. I know one of the suggestions is to express a bit into a towel until it slows down. This never seems to work for me because I can express and express and the jet stream never stops. And when I put him back on, he chokes and gags again. Is it supposed to stop at some point? I've even checked it after he's been nursing for 20 minutes (with a nipple shiled) and the "jet streams" are still there (when I hand express..they're not streaming on their own). And I can pump for 5 minutes or so and they're still there.

So far, my only solution has been to use a nipple shield but he seems to hate it and I can't always get him latched on when I'm using it (he knocks it off or refuses the breast completely). Any suggestions on getting him to take the nipple shield? He used to love it (I used one when I first started BFing due to flat nipples and it took a while to wean him off of it before I discovered I had OALD).

Thanks!

Default Re: OALD - Never stop spraying - Help!

Welcome!,

What a frustrating situation for you! Kudos to you for keeping at it despite a month long strike !

I have a couple of ideas for you. First of all, you don't need to keep hand expressing until the flow stops. Just hand express enough to get a letdown, and allow yourself to leak/spray into a towel/diaper until the letdown subsides. Continuing to hand express just signals your body to continue producing more milk.

Secondly, you might consider varying your nursing positions to help baby to be better able to cope with the fast milk flow. Football/clutch hold and sidelying positions are popular with oversupplied mamas. Another position to try would be a reclined position, leaning back in a chair or lying in bed propped with pillows. This allows gravity to help slow the flow a bit for your baby.

Lastly, I am wondering if you are switching breasts during a feeding, if you are limiting baby to one breast per feeding, and if you are block feeding at all. If you are not yet blockfeeding, this might really help you.

Hang in there!

Tiana

Thanks so much for the tips, Tiana. But how do I know "when the letdown subsides" when I'm hand expressing. It never seems to get any weaker no matter how long I hand express or pump. Should it slow from a spray to a trickle at some point? Even when I express for a while it still seems to choke him when I put him back on.

You're right about the positions. He does much better with side-lying although that's not always convenient/possible. He's always hated football hold so unfortunately that's out.

Persevering!

Quote Originally Posted by kwilliam4 View Post
    Thanks so much for the tips, Tiana. But how do I know "when the letdown subsides" when I'm hand expressing. It never seems to get any weaker no matter how long I hand express or pump. Should it slow from a spray to a trickle at some point? Even when I express for a while it still seems to choke him when I put him back on.
    Let me see if I can clarify. Sometimes it's hard to explain things over the interenet. What I am suggesting is that you hand express until your milk lets down (starts spraying all over the place). Then, stop expressing and just catch the spray. If you stop expressing, the spray will eventually slow down. Does that make more sense? HTH.

Tiana

Got it - thanks! So is it normal for milk to spray out across the room in several "jets" if I do hand express well into a feed / well after let down to check the flow? It seems like my LO is bothered by this spray (he keeps pulling off even well into the feed if I don't use a nipple shield). I assume he is continuing to get this fast spray well into the feed if I can get it when I hand express then just to check the flow. Is this normal (both this spray and his reaction to it)? Maybe he is just super sensitive.

When I pump / hand express I typically have at least two streams. Once I saw almost eight.

Don't know how this would affect my daughter -- she refuses the breast no matter what I try, so I just pump.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

It is common to have more than one letdown per feed. So, it is possible that your baby nurses comfortably for a while after the initial spray subsides, but then, he gets a second one later in the feeding. At this point, you can allow him to pull off and catch the spray in a towel/cloth diaper again...and then resume the feeding. Just be sure to put him back on the same breast. If you switch sides, he may not get enough of the creamy hindmilk at the end of the feeding...and it signals your body to make more milk.

HTH,

Tiana