Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe you can help me...

Default Maybe you can help me...

I'm looking for someone to share their personal experience with me (from the moment you decided to BF, after you delivered, to where you are now)! Let me know the in's and out's of breastfeeding. I'd rather get advice from someone who has "been there, done that" then read a million books and still be nervous! I know everyone is different and has a different experience but it would really help!

If you would like to email me that would be cool. Rileysmommie@hotmail.com or I'm on AIM. Rileysmommie05

Thank you so much to those who can help me out.

Default Re: Maybe you can help me...

I have bf'ed my older DD and now bf'ing my twins..

Kalynn latched on very well at the hospital. I didn't really have a hard time with her, fortunately. It was just difficult to adjust to only getting 3 hours of continuous sleep if that, and having a baby nursing all day seemed like. did have sore nipples, but Lasinoh helped with that. By around 6 weeks, things got SO much easier.

My twins were a different story..They were born 6weeks early. Ryker had no problem nursing, and was and is a total booby boy. Ronin however, was a different story. He wouldn't latch, then they got bottles, which unfortunately, made things worse. I pumped every 3 hours, around the clock, including at night. I practiced with Ronin every single day, did lots of skin to skin. Finally around 6 weeks, he finally latched and we haven't looked back since!
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

Do they have you nurse right after the baby is born or do you wait?

Definitely nurse right after birth.
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02

The only thing I'm really worried about is after I have her I won't have the energy to nurse at night. When I had Riley they kept her for her night feedings because I was so drained I could barely hold her.

If I had to do it all over again I would have attended LLL meetings while I was pg and taken a BF class. It was very hard for us to get started! Now I tell all my pg friends they better be more prepared than I was.

Logan had jaundice, pink eye, reflux, and eczema all within the first week of birth so he was one cranky dude. He would only nurse on one side. I didn't recognize his hungry clues and would wait until he was screaming before I put him to breast; his latch was bad so he got frustrated and screamed some more.

He had EBM bottles + formula first week.

Amazingly, we stuck this all out and I would keep nursing him even though he was screaming his head off. My mom helped me a lot during the first week.

I called the LC hotline the first week and they told me over the phone to go out and buy nipple shields.... then I found the LLL forum which has basically given me the knowledge and confidence to where we are BF'ing today. We cut out all the bottles, started skin-skin contact, and worked through all his medical issues and everything just sort of worked out eventually. It's not perfect but its 'us'.

I like to think Logan is a BF champ. He's in the 93rd percentile of weight, ha ha. All of our BF positions are unconventional- he likes to move around when nursing and not be held tight so mostly we nurse laying down so he can wiggle around. We can NIP when needed as well, I'm just a little more firm with him on.

Sadly, I read the weaning pages and cry. I don't even want to think of the day we might stop BF'ing; this is something that we worked so darn hard for and it was worth every last second of it. When I see Logan gaze right into my eyes as he's nursing my heart melts, and I know its a bond that will never be broken no matter what.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmommie View Post
    The only thing I'm really worried about is after I have her I won't have the energy to nurse at night. When I had Riley they kept her for her night feedings because I was so drained I could barely hold her.
    This is what worked for us: I side lie and nurse! My boys still wake up once or twice a night, so I will lie on my side and nurse them (one at a time)
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02

Thanks guys! That was really helpful.....

Keep the advice coming!

First of all, YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I had MAJOR struggles with DS1 four years ago! I did get him latched on about 30 mins after birth thanks to the midwife! BUT, after that, we had a TERRIBLE time latching! The first day, he literally slept ALL DAY! My bottle-feeding "roommate" in the hospital had every wish granted, while I, breastfeeding mom, was STRUGGLING and the nurses acted like I was soooo annoying!! It was extremely frustrating!! Thank goodness for determination and the visiting nurse at 5 days postpartum!!! I could not get Noah to latch onto the left side AT ALL!! She was able to get him on with the football hold. While not fond of that position, it did help until we were both more experienced. Noah nursed until he was 2.5 years old and would have continued, had I not encouraged weaning!!!!!!!!!!

DS2, born about 7 weeks ago...is nursing like a champ NOW! After 25 hours of labor, I was EXHAUSTED and did not nurse him until probably 6-8 hrs postpartum! I honestly do not even remember! I could not open my eyes from sheer exhaustion! He had some birth trauma and issues the first day or two, but now nursing fabulously!! It's good that this is not your first baby! You will not be as nervous this time! Please email or PM me if you have further ?'s! I would be happy to help in any way I can!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

ITA with the pp that mentioned the bf classes... With my DD I only bf for 3-4 weeks. I stop because she seemed constantly hungry and I didn't think she was getting full, only to find out now that she was going through a growth spurt... The class REALLY helped...

I planned to bf and wanted to bf as so as my lo was born, but they keep him a way because of breathing isssue (only to find out later it went totally find once he fed). I was tired, but once you see your little one, you get a small burst...

BF feeding can be a challenge, but its SO worth it!!! You are already on a good start by asking ?'s
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)