Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Distractable or still hungry?

Default Distractable or still hungry?

I have tried to search the posts for an answer, looked online elsewhere, but am still not sure...so hear it goes.
    My DD is 4 months. We have dealt with oversupply, reflux, milk intolerance and wiggly nursing early on. Over the passed week, she has changed from her usually long, calm feeds. Now she is eating for just short periods and pulling off the breast, then popping right back on over and over (or every just pulling the nipple out about as far as she can with out popping off). She kicks and flails while nursing (to the point I might need a helmut for protective gear - ha ha). She seems frustrated as if still hungry. If she is fighting too much, I take her off to see if it is gas - with no luck. She will cry while fighting the boob. And has started eating on both sides (which she never has done before). She seems to be having enough wet/BM diapers and her weight seems to be fine, which leads me to think that she is just distractable. But she just "seems" hungry. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Distractable or still hungry?

it sounds a little like a growth spurt combined with her learning that there is other things going on around her. she wants to nurse AND know whats going on.

I agree. Sounds like my daughter, she is always pulling off and looking around. When she is nursing she usually sticks her left leg up in the air and leaves it.

Yep, sounds like she's still hungry! Wait till she clamps down on your nipple and yanks!!! Just keep feeding her and your milk supply will adjust in a couple days Drink lots of non-caffeinated fluids

Ditto that with the growing spurt and distractions. DS is 7 months and does this more frequently now. I usually spend a few minutes trying to get him to settle down before ending nursing (of course, he then wants the nipple!) and try to distract him a bit with activities or going for a walk. Then the next time he feeds is often much better.

I really should quit as soon as he does this instead of fighting it at all. All it does is makes the nipples sore when he pulls!

~ Linda
    Last edited by lbrowne; August 10th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.