Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: About to Nurse again - I have some ??'s

Default About to Nurse again - I have some ??'s

Hello...I am going to be a 2nd time working b'fedding mom, any minute now!!! I am very excited as my experience the last time was WONDERFUL!!! My son who is now 3yrs old, breast feed until 2.5 yrs old!!! Although, I feel like I became an expert, I am feeling the tons tons and tons of questions coming back all over again! This forum is what HELPED ME so much throughout my last b'feeding experience and I now will be a tremendous help this time around.

Out of experience I know now not to try to introduce the bottle too early! I will be a working breastfeeding mom. I eventually will need to introduce a bottle prior to going back to work (I am going to dedicated 3 complete months to b'feeding on demand as I am home with my baby) My questions are:
    1. When my new baby is approx 6 weeks old, would that be a good time to start to try to introduce a bottle to him?

2. I had several bottle troubles last time around and wasted too much money trying to give him a bottle that I thought was best, I eventually choose the bottle he was most comfy with. Are there any bottle recommendations anyone can make? My thoughts are to purchase 1 of several kind to have options on hand once I am faced with the fact I will have to give him a bottle (that makes me so sad thinking about it )? Any suggestions would be great!

3. I plan to co-sleep with the new baby. Are the sleeper beds, aka snug nests (the ones that can be placed in the bed with you) safe? I have read mixed reviews and I am on the fence about purchasing one? I did not use one with my other son, I did however, use the positioner which was fantistic! My husband was very fearful the first time around as he thought we would hurt our 3rd son with him being so small sleeping with us, but he became very use to having the baby in bed with us and it helped out a lot with breastfeeding at night, I got more sleep and so did the baby, I even noticed a better milk supply this way around.

Well right now, these are the top three questions I have...I am sure I will have plenty more to come in the next few weeks, months, and possibly again years ...I look forward to reading any advise, suggestions, and helping answer questions from my past and future breastfeeding experience. I hope to one day become a certified lactation consultant as this is such a rewarding experience.

Default Re: About to Nurse again - I have some ??'s

For introducing a bottle our pediatrian recommended 3 weeks. We did this and DS opened his mouth to the bottle and never turned back. He was only given a bottle about once every other day after that - with EBM. When I went back to work, the transition was smooth.

I know of many moms who tried to introduce the bottle after 4 weeks and had trouble. It seems the earlier the better.

I would wait unitl about 3-4 weeks before going back to introduce the bottle to avoid nipple confusion.

I agree w/ your plan about different bottles~you really never know what they'll takes best. Advent works well for us, but so do the cheapie evenflo's.

We just co-sleep the old fashioned way. Can't really give much advice on the "devices".
    Congratulations on your new baby to be. I have 4 boys and stayed home w/ my first two and worked w/ my 3rd and 4th.

I use a safe and secure cosleeper from first years. (It's like $40 from target, I think) I adore this thing! The only thing I'd recommend is not putting it on the edge of the bed, because if you've got a wiggler, they can wiggle right out of it. I love mine, and it's easy to pack up when you travel.

You are right to be cautious about the timing of introduction of the bottle to your breastfed baby. Most mothers find that it is best to wait until breastfeeding is well established before introducing artificial nipples. For some mother/child pairs this might be as early as 3-4 weeks up to 6 weeks or more. There are other options for feeding (other bottle nippples, cup, syringe, spoon, sippy cup w/o the flow-restriction valve) if for some reason the baby doesn't take well to a bottle. Nipple confusion is the primary concern in the early weeks, but additionally, adding pumping to the routine in the early days can be a real challenge. Most mothers find it's easier to wait until things seem to have settled into a routine.

I don't have any specific input on the various products you're looking at, but hopefully the moms here will chime in with their experiences.

Best of luck to you - ~~~Easy Labor Vibes~~~

Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL