Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Let downs during pumping

Question Let downs during pumping

Hi,

My DS is about 4 months old. I am exclusively breastfeeding him. I want to start a freezer stash. I have an Ameda Purely Yours double pump.

I notice that when DS breastfeeds, he gets 2-3 let downs on one side in 20-30 minutes. (Yes, it takes him about 1 hr to eat!) But when I pump, it takes over 20 minutes before the first and only let down to start. So that I am only getting a total of 3ozs from both breasts. I have only tried to pump twice this week. Each time, DS has eaten about 15-20 min from one breast and a few sucks from the other. Both times I pumped are early in the morning. I was afraid his lack of interest in feeding will decrease my milk supply. I think he's going through the infamous 4 month issue everyone seems to be having..............

My question is, am I doing something wrong with the pump? I thought the full breast should let down milk within a few minutes, not 20 minutes into the pumping. And I thought that I would get at least 2 let downs, not just one. So disappointing with pumping!

Thank you,
    AmyN

Default Re: Let downs during pumping

The way I get my let down with the pump is to have my son near by and I can look at him while I pump. I usually get the let down within a minute or so. Also, I have tried looking at a picture of him while pumping at work and that helped as well. I know that trying to relax while pumping is also beneficial for letdown. Pumping three ounces is good though.

I have a hard time with letting down at the pump and if I pump too much, I have a hard time with let downs with the baby! It is somewhat a mental thing for me. I mean, actually, if you research it, it has a lot to do with a mental thing. Try literally closing your eyes and pretending that it is the baby feeding and seeing that in your mind. Try looking at a picture of your baby or setting the baby where you can see them. Think of happy times with the baby (this helps with oxytocin, the hormone that aids in let down. Being happy and relaxed and picturing happy or endearing baby memories really seems to help). Some mom's turn on relaxing music. For me, sometimes I try to focus on it too hard and find it helpful to call my Mom or friend, read a book, or even try to focus what time it is and calculate feeding or sleeping schedules or calculate how many ounces per hour avergage I want to be making or seem to be making. Even with all this, I still let down in spurts sometimes, or hardly at all sometimes. It is sometimes really frustrating because I can literally feel the milk is in my breast! Sometimes it helps to stop and try back in 15 minutes. Just keep working on it and keep nursing to keep that supply up. Also, get online and do a google search for "tips for letting down/breastfeeding" I hope this helps. Remember, sometimes it is our body chemistry, but other times it is just a mental thing we have to learn to master. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK. EVEN 3 OUNCES AT A TIME WILL HELP YOU!

Thank you for the replies. I was watching DS when I pumped. Maybe I was too tense and worry too much about needing to pump.