Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain

Default Nipple pain

I'm sure this is brought up a lot. My left nipple is smaller than my right and it is harder for DS to get a good latch. I had the same problem when DD was nursing too. We have been working on latching on to the left side and he's getting better, I just have to get him to open his mouth farther. Right now my nipple is sore and I dread having to put him on the left side so I tend to favor my right side. Is there anything I can do to help with the pain until we get the best latch on my left side?

Default Re: Nipple pain

Hey...I had a similar situation with DD (our #2). One side was easier to latch, she just seemed to prefer it. So I started beginning every feed on that side so there wasn't really a choice. Of course, I did some switching sides to make sure both breasts were getting evenly nursed on. She's now 4.5 months old and will take either side. (I have flat nipples and I think the least preferred side was flatter?)
    About the pain, is it the initial pain of rawness, etc. of newborn? I used the Lanolin cream in the purple tube, Lanosil I think? after EVERY feed for a few weeks as nipples got used to suckling babe. Hope this helps. And congratulations on your baby!!

Is the nipple cracked/damaged or just sore?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Yes it's just the soreness of nursing. I'm not cracked or damaged.

Thanks for the advice... I have to get some Lanolin!

I'm sure you'll feel much better once you are using a lanolin cream. I used one called Lansinoh which was great, it really helped me in the early weeks, think I would'v struggled without it. Think my nipples must've toughened up as I've just realised that I've not applied any for weeks now!!

Good luck and remember to ENJOY!!

use that cream after every feed I did with James b.c he had a more powerful suckle than Connor did so it cracked and damaged and the nurse said for me to use that cream after ever feed and it helped and now it's been 10 WHOLE MONTHS w.o a fuss. Hope they get better. HUGS MOMMA!!