Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: way to make breastmilk more filling and satisfying?

Default way to make breastmilk more filling and satisfying?

my 5 week old is eating over 30 ounces of breastmilk (only) each day and still acts hungry much of the time. (i am pumping exclusively.) is there a way to make breastmilk more satisfying and filling for him? it seems like he is almost always hungry and can't get enough to eat. it seems like he is eating a lot already... any suggestions at all on how to help him be more satisfied are appreciated! thanks!

Default Re: way to make breastmilk more filling and satisfying?

How many ounces is he taking at a time? Around 5-6 weeks there is a growth spurt, which could cause him to want to eat more.

Whatever you are eating is going into your milk, helping to enrich it. In my early days, my mom helped me out, and she suggested that I eat lots of creamy fulfilling stuff. Cream pies, whole milk, good veggies and meat. That the fats, vitamins, and calories would help to make the milk good and satisfying. I skipped the cream pies, but I've stuck with the whole milk, and really believe in the good veggies and meats. Make sure you're getting all the food groups, well balanced diet, etc. Also, lots of water!

Hang in there! It does get easier!

I'd say that your lo just has a good appetite. Our milk is made for our babies so they get everything they need. I would just make sure you eat a balanced diet, like the pp said. But as far as the amount your lo is eating, it sounds pretty normal to me.

how do you know what is "normal" for ounces of breastmilk consumed/age of baby? i haven't found this information online yet. i tried to find it for formula babies, but couldn't even find that one. there must be a normal range for both breastfed and bottle babies?!?

Here is a link to Kellymom.com that includes a calculator. I give this to you with the caution to use it merely as a loose guideline. Breastfed babies( I personally consider this if fed by breast or bottle) go through growth spurts. I pumped with DD and she went through the same behaviour as DS who nurses exclusively. I hope you find the link helpful http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

That BMcalc is very helpful I hope u can get some help out of it and keep enjoying the relationship.

1.5 to 4oz per feeding is the range. 30oz is on the high end but if you are feeding every two hours round the clock which is what you would be doing if you were feeding directly instead of pumping, you'd still be in the range of "normal" at 36 oz a day. However, something to consider though is that bottle fed children don't self regulate the way breastfed children do.They generally learn to drink until a bottle is gone. So while the frequency of your child's feeding may and probably won't change you could try giving as little less each feeding if you are having a hard time keeping up. But there is absolutely NOTHING nonfilling or unsatisfying about your milk. Infants have teen tiny stomachs and simply need to eat around the clock. The only reason formula fed children go longer between feeds is because it's harder for them to digest. Breast milk is absorbed more quickly and more completely because it's natures food for your child. Not some imitation product made from a cow or soy. You're doing great. 30 oz a day is wonderful out put for an exclusive pumper. It is round the clock work no matter what. Stay focused and don't get discouraged.

Way too lazy for formula

I had a thought about something to try. Maybe use a bottle that has a really slow flow, so your baby has to suck longer and work harder. Also, I had the sitter feed smaller amounts (2 oz.) every 2 hours when I was at work. This is more like what he would have gotten if nursing., since BM digests in about 2 hours. It also satisfied his sucking needs better to have the slower flow nipples. We used those nipples until he weaned around 11 1/2 mo. old, and he never complained. Just a thought, something that might be worth trying.
    Chantel

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    my 5 week old is eating over 30 ounces of breastmilk (only) each day and still acts hungry much of the time. (i am pumping exclusively.) is there a way to make breastmilk more satisfying and filling for him? it seems like he is almost always hungry and can't get enough to eat. it seems like he is eating a lot already... any suggestions at all on how to help him be more satisfied are appreciated! thanks!

I would suggest trying paced bottle feeds so that he can enjoy sucking longer and he will get a chance to experience the natural full sensation. Here's some info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    http://www.ilca.org/pubs/jhl/j18h1l10.pdf

Have you considered bringing your baby back to the breast? If he has a very strong need to suck, feeding directly at the breast would surely be very comforting to him.

From what I understand, raising the fat conent of your diet will not do the same for your milk. But it seems you can change the types of fats based on the types of fats you consume. See here for more info.

Good luck!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.