Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having surgery can i bf?

Default Having surgery can i bf?

I am scheduled to have my gall bladder out next friday and the doc said I should pump and dump a few times then I can bf again after that. Does anyone know if this is true? I am not worried about the surgery I am more worried about the bf'ing issue. HE said my meds I will get afterwards (pain & antibiotics) are safe also. Anyone had any experiences with surgeries while bf'ing?

Default Re: Having surgery can i bf?

I just had my tubes tied two weeks ago and my dr told me the same thing. I consulted a few people, asked on here, and asked my pediatrician. Everyone and La Leche told me as soon as I was awake and able to hold my baby, I could BF. By the time you are awake and alert, the anesthesia is already out of your system. Here is a link to something that might help. It gives the list of meds and what affect they have on the baby.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html
    Last edited by Mexinerd; August 10th, 2007 at 01:43 PM.

I just had a hide-a-scan test to see if my gall bladder will need to be removed and I have not been allowed to breastfeed all weekend....pump and dump. So I have many of the same fears that you do.

I am worried that if I do not pump enough during this time off I'll lose my milk supply. How much should I pump?

I'm worried that the baby will reject my breast after this time off?

And most of all I hate to go through this again if I have the gall bladder removed. I, too, would like to hear from someone that had their gall bladder removed. recovery time? bf'ing issues? etc....

As far as antibiotics, I took some for a kidney infection and still bf, no problems.

Hi and sorry you are going through the prospect of surgery. The best reference for regarding medications and breastfeeding Thomas Hale's Medications and Mothers' Milk. Many doctors, most IBCLC's, and some LLL leaders will have a copy of this book. You can find out specifically what medications and in what doses you will be taking, and then consult with someone who has the book and knows how to use it. It lists all current medications for which there is data and gives a risk level with possible side effects etc. for BFing. The vast majority of medications are safe for BFing moms. And, many times there is alternative medication available if the one usually used is considered risky. Make sure that the doctor is using this reference for recommendations regarding BF, not the PDR. The PDR really has very little useful info in it, and will be overly/unnecessarily cautious. HTH!